Tridelphia drawdown further delayed by Mother Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tridelphia drawdown further delayed by Mother Nature

The closure of Tridelphia for a dredging project continues to be delayed, and has now been pushed to at least mid-June, but after last week's rains it might be pushed back even more. The lake is now at full capacity once again thanks to the deluge we received, and WSSC will have to begin the drawdown from scratch. That will require drawing down Rocky Gorge again, which is also currently full, to make room for the additional water coming down from Tridelphia.

A buddy and I got out there this past Saturday for some fishing, and I have to say the action was lights out! I caught seven different species of fish, but most of the action came from the pike and crappie which seemed to be sharing the same flooded brush habitat wherever I found them. My first fish of the day was a 30 inch northern pike that smoked a chatterbait right at the kayak, and is my new PB for the species. Believe me when I say everyone on the lower lake heard my reaction when I caught that one!

Most of the pike I landed came on the chatterbait or a spinnerbait, while the crappie came on...well....everything I threw. I mostly caught them on beetlespins and little jigs, but I got one on both of pike lures, plus on a shaky head worm I was fishing for bass. They were super aggressive to say the least!

Other species caught in smaller numbers included a few largemouth and smallmouth bass, yellow and white perch, and a bluegill. Pictured below our the 30" pike and my biggest crappie of the day at 13.5". I ultimately caught about 9 or 10 pike and around 25 crappie, all of which were decent size fish with most over 10 inches.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

That sounds like some stellar freshwater fishing. Congrats on the PB pike! Is that a white crappie? I don't see them very often in MD.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats on the Pike Cliff! Thanks for the report and the good news on Tridelphia.
      Nick
      2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        That sounds like some stellar freshwater fishing. Congrats on the PB pike! Is that a white crappie? I don't see them very often in MD.
        Yes, pretty much all of the crappie I've caught in Tridelphia are white crappie. They seem to do better in highland reservoirs like Tridelphia while black crappie tend to do better in rivers and millponds. The crappie fishery in Tridelphia may be the best fishery in the lake. I don't think I've ever fished anywhere where I consistently catch so many of them that are over 10 inches.
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Is it still open? Website says it closes mid June. Anyone have any luck recently?
          Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
          Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
            Is it still open? Website says it closes mid June. Anyone have any luck recently?
            Yes, this should be the last weekend that the lake is open. I am planning to fish it tomorrow morning if the rain isn't too bad. Those storms the other night have probably muddied up the lake a bit, but honestly the lower lake could use some extra color as it was starting to run pretty clear again. My last trip there was a bit slow, but was also a bluebird sky day which always makes for tough fishing. My trip before that it was a bit rainy, and the crappie and pike fishing was lights out. I'm hoping for some light rain or overcast sky tomorrow morning that will get the bite going.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

CORRECTION: So as of this morning, my sources have confirmed that the closing of Tridelphia has been delayed for yet another month to mid-July thanks to the recent rains that have refilled it yet again. There will be a hearing tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the Brighton Dam visitor center to discuss the dredging plans and new proposed closing date.
              - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
              X