Update on the Tridelphia dredging project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the Tridelphia dredging project

Last night I attended a public hearing held by WSSC regarding the Tridelphia dredging project. Their original plan had been to close down the lake in the late spring, and conduct the project over the summer. However, they have experienced a number of delays in the permitting process with DNR, and mother nature hasn't helped by refilling the reservoir twice in the last month with heavy rains. They believe they are now close to getting the final permits, and if all goes according to plan will be closing down the reservoir in mid-July to begin the work which is estimated to take 4-5 months. If there are further delays in the permitting process, they will probably have to delay all the work until next summer, in which case the lake will remain open for the rest of this year.

The area they are planning to dredge is largely around the dam where 80 years of sedimentation have added up. They are looking to remove about 6-7 feet of sediments from the area around the dam, and to do so will have to lower the lake level by 30 feet. This is comparable to the draw down they did for the work on the dam. Most of the people in attendance were local residents who were primarily concerned about all the dump truck traffic that would be required to haul the dredged material from Greenbridge to Pigtail where it will be spread out to dry. The sediment has tested free of chemicals, so the plan is to sell it off as topsoil because that is what it mostly is.

Once the work begins, the Greenbridge and Pigtail areas will be closed to the public as that is where most of the equipment will be kept. Big Branch and Tridelphia Recreation Area will still be open to the public for recreation, including bank fishing. The launches themselves will be closed because the water will not be accessible from them once the draw down has been completed. If the work goes forward this year, it is hard to say whether the lake will be at full pool again by next spring given how steep of a draw down is required. It will all depend on how wet of a winter and spring we have. Last time they began refilling the reservoir in the early spring, and it took until the following spring for the reservoir to reach full pool, although it was high enough by that summer to allow boats and kayaks back on the lake again.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Cliff,

Thank you for sharing that information.

It's unfortunate that another drawdown is going to occur so soon after the one for the dam's repair.

I wonder how this drawdown and disruptions from dredging will impact the fish population, especially if low water prersists through next spring's spawn?

Let's hope fisheries experts have looked into that and if necessary have made plans to stock the reservoir to make up for potential losses.

It was this time last year when the Brood X cicadas sent the carp and bass into a feeding frenzy at Triadelphia. That was some of the most enjoyable fishing I've ever done.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, given the plan to draw it down 30 feet, there should still be a pool of water that extends up to about mid-lake, albeit much of it will be fairly shallow. As with most drawdowns, it will be a feeding bonanza for the big fish. The one thing I worry about is the stress it could place on cooler water fish like the striped bass and pike, especially with this being done at the height of the summer. They won't have as much of a deep water refuge to seek out cooler water. That said, the pike seemed to rebound quite well following the last drawdown.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Any word? The WSSC website doesn't have much. Half debating going and fishing there tomorrow.
        Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
        Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
          Any word? The WSSC website doesn't have much. Half debating going and fishing there tomorrow.
          Was there on Monday, it's still open. Water is really up high too.

Comment

I went today. Checked out the greenbridge and triadelphia launches and they both seem fine. Didn't catch anything besides crappie, but the weather was perfect. Who knows when the work will begin.
            Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
            Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

Comment

So the latest report I've heard is that the equipment hasn't arrived yet. They were also having permitting delays from DNR, but I don't know where those stand at this point. I do recall them saying that if they weren't able to get started by the fall, there was a good chance they would have to push the whole thing to next summer. I haven't been fishing much the last couple months either way. We bought a house, and getting it ready to move in has taken over my life! The movers are scheduled for Labor Day weekend, so hopefully I can get back it soon. Now that the temps have cooled down a bit I'm itching to get back out again.
              - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
              X