Big smallies on the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big smallies on the Potomac

Got out on the Potomac not too far upriver of DC this past Sunday morning, and stumbled upon a great topwater bite. I was fishing a Berkeley Choppo as I worked my way up river, and my first two fish were a 16" and 18" smallmouth, the later being my new PB for the river. Both came off the ends of laydowns breaking the current, and absolutely crushed my bait.

I got several other violent strikes on top as the morning wore on, but was not able to connect with any of them. In two cases, I got two explosive strikes on the same retrieve. These fish were literally launching themselves out of the water. Truly some of the most aggressive strikes I have ever seen. Despite the frustration of the missed strikes, I kept with the topwater longer than I probably should have because the strikes themselves were worth it. I eventually switched over to a chatterbait, the new mini-max in black and blue, and proceeded to catch a few more nice bass in the 14-16" range. The water was pretty stained, so power fishing was the game.

On my way back to the launch, I floated down the Virginia side of the river where the water was much clearer, so I wound up switching to a Roostertail spinner. This lead to several more bites, mostly smaller bass and few redbreast sunfish, but I did manage one decent 14"smallie on the spinner.

Wish I could have posted some photos, but for some reason I keep getting an error message when I try to do so. I have had nothing but technical difficulties with this new system.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Glad you posted up.
    My son and I used to put in at Old Anglers Inn and do pretty good, back around 2015-2016,, then it just died, multiple trips over 2018-2020 without a single smallie.
    A year or so ago I read that the DNR did shock survey in the area and had dismal smallie counts.
    We are gonna try it again Saturday after laying off a few years.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Yeah, that one year of really high flows all summer did a number on the smallmouth population, especially through that stretch. I was fishing above Great Falls, closer to Seneca. There are some nice fish out there now, and I got some smaller ones too which is hopeful for the future.

- Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

My son and I did get out Saturday, Fished the Potomac above DC, launching at one of the many C&O canal parking areas.
        We put in (5:30 am) and took out (2:30 pm) at the same spot, We put in and paddled upstream about 1.5 miles, slowly working our way up.
        Morning top water was non existing, except 1 catfish on the popper.
        Water was moving at a decent clip and created a workout keeping the Coosa HD straight and upstream.
        We did pick up some Smallies later in the morning when structure could be found, current seams were the ticket. once the skies cleared and sun came out mid day, the bite dropped off.
        Not a great day, not a bad day. smallies were in the 6" - 15" range. Small crank bait was the ticket for me, son had luck with the wooper plooper and spinner.
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Those are encouraging reports guys. I have been staying away from the Potomac after having poor results the last two or three seasons. I am itching to get back out to my favorite areas again this month if the rain storms keep away.

Comment

Working...
          X