Cape Cod pond fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Cod pond fishing

I spent the past week staying with friends at a house in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Among many other fun activities, I fished nearly every day of our trip. The house was located on a small, naturally-occurring kettle pond with virtually no public access (just one small, overgrown, poison-ivy laden footpath) and the water was cool, clear, deep, and clean. Two different types of lily pads lined the perimeter of the pond, and coontail covered the bottom.

There are only a few houses on the pond, including the one we stayed at, and with the extremely limited public access the pond does not see much fishing pressure. What a change of pace from my home waters.... these fish were EASY to catch. I worked a texas rigged brush hog with a fluoro leader along the edges of lily pads and just about any cast had a real shot at producing a bite. Most of the fish were small, cookie cutter clones in the 1 to 1.5 pound range, but they were healthy and pretty. I couldn't help myself and spent a lot of time throwing a frog in the lily pads, it was not nearly as productive as the texas rig but I did catch a handful of bass this way and it was more rewarding.

The kayaks we used were cheap and uncomfortable, so we didn't fish for more than an hour or two at a time. I fished 4 separate days and my totals were as follows. Day 1: 4 bass, 1 pickerel; Day 2: 12 bass, 2 pickerel; Day 3: 4 bass, 1 pickerel; Day 4: 5 bass. My friend was throwing a rooster tail most of the time and caught numerous sunfish, bass, and yellow perch.

Here are a few pictures of some of the larger fish of the trip.

20220705_130511.jpg

20220705_135717.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Looked like a fun time. Those bass didn’t know what hit them.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I definitely need to get up to the Cape. Never been there, but there are a lot of fishing opportunities there I would love to give a try.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Dave,

Excellent.

Very nice report and photos.

Love those pads -- fish magnets.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. It was beautiful up there and we had a great time. Looking forward to returning at some point. Next time I may bring some saltwater gear.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
          X