2 days on the DOAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 days on the DOAH

Back from my overnighter on the Shenandoah with my son and a new fella.
    We have been running the Doah for 15+ years,,, it has changed drastically in the last 3-5 years. we experianced 2-3 TIMES the number of people on the river and camping riverside,, the days of "back to nature" on the Doah are gone.
    More outfitters are running "tubers" down the river,, by the hundreds now,,
    What has drastically changed is farmers discovered they could "rent" their fields to large (200-400) groups from DC and NOVA and turn the river into a street festival. I knew The Shenandoah Valley would eventually get swallowed up by the DC metroplex,, but did not expect it this quick.
    Anyhow,,

Trip was good besides the crowds. Son and I were 25 and 30+ smallies per day.
    Water level was perfect, temps were good.
    cooked burgers over the fire, sipped whiskey, slept in a hammock

I run 4 rigged rods:
    1) for top water (I use a small buzz bait, son uses a small wopper plopper)
    2) Wee crawl crankbait
    3) UL rod with 1/16 - 1/8 Road Runner and 3" grub/twisty tail
    4) Ned Rig or Senko for slow presentation in slack water.

I am casting a different rod every few cast sometimes, it all depends on the situation.
    I run a stakeout pole, to hold my kayak in moving water if I want to fish an area,, then I may move 25' and stakeout or high center a rock to stop and work an area again.
    The cloudier it is, the more the top water is thrown,, if I am drifting by a small patch of "eddy" and the sun goes behind a cloud, the top water is thrown,,
    If there is a deep pool and it is sunny, the need rig or senko.
    The wee crawl is thrown between ledges in the troughs,,

The UL with the RR and grub is my "I'm bored and wanna catch some dinks" set up. I'll throw that in the riffles and get a few 6-10" fish,, then go back to the other set ups.

What works one day,, doesn't the next day,,, and things change throughout the day,, constantly changing it up color wise to dial it in.

DSCN3184.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

DSCN3190.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

DSCN3204.jpg
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Doesn't get much better than that. :-)
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

Great trip report! Exactly why I like visiting this web forum.

Comment

Great report! What stretch did you float if you don't mind me asking? I feel like the main branch and lower stretches have been thoroughly taken over by the tubers in the summer for years now. Wondering if that is moving up the river.
          - Cliff

Hobie Compass
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

We were between Luray and Bentonville.
            3-5 outfitters (tubers, rafts, canoes, kayaks) are running "tourists" from Luray bridge on down to almost Front Royal,,, Sat-Sun has turned into a cluster in that area,, More and more River front farm fields are transitioning into "Street festival", 1/4 mile long "gatherings", with hundreds wading the river. The land owners collect per car and pack em in.

We have camped along a small stretch of national forest for the last 10 years,, we have camped a particular spot 15-20 times and never had anyone remotely around us,,, This weekend that area was 20-30 tents over the 1/4 mile,, where everyone all of a sudden showed up from,, no idea. Most had rental canoes.

We managed to dodge groups, work around loud-drunk groups, etc,,, But I go to the river to escape and connect with nature, thats not happening on the weekends anymore.
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Great trip report! Exactly why I like visiting this web forum.
              I wish River smallies forum would fire back up,,, The River Smallies FB group is a clown show,, as is all FB groups.
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Those pics are great, I can't think of a better way to spend a couple days
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                X