Middle Potomac Smallies 9-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Potomac Smallies 9-24

I didn't go,, but my Son rolled out at 4:00 AM Saturday,, launched at 5:30 on the middle Potomac - below great falls, above the Cabin John Bridge.
    Last few years we have been skunked there,, after doing good 4-6 years ago.

Water was LOW.
    He was on the water throwing top water at daybreak, only fished to about 8am,, Rec and WW kayakers showed up (20+) with their instructors and started lessons litterally where he was fishing,, but the bite had dropped off by then.

He caught 5 smallies - 10-16", topwater early (wooper plopper, then a senko. I have no more details than that.
    It appears the SM fishery is slowly crawling back.

IMG_7814_20220924_080405.jpg

IMG_7850_20220924_080405.jpg

IMG_7853_20220924_080313.jpg
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

That's some gorgeous water. Are the trees already turning colors up there? Or is that just the "golden hour" lighting?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
      That's some gorgeous water. Are the trees already turning colors up there? Or is that just the "golden hour" lighting?
      This is in Potomac Maryland,,, I am guessing it was the light
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        I'm in Gaithersburg. We have some leaves already turning yellow early, probably due to the lack of rainfall this summer more than anything else, but not many.

Where did he launch in that stretch? Old Anglers Inn?
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

That's a beautiful area and I've fished there myself a few times from the kayak, but it's been a good 6-10 years myself now. We always caught some nice fish, but I can see how the instructors and white water kayak lessons could ruin things. Great smallie photo too. It is a special river and amazing geography.

Comment

Working...
          X