Multi-species day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-species day

Today I went down the eastern shore for my first snakehead trip of the year. April is historically my best month for snakehead fishing. It turned out to be a relatively slow day. I caught a few fish with good variety, but there were hours in between bites.

First fish of the day was a decent bass that hit a 3.5" paddle tail. The colors on this bass were interesting, dark yellow and black. I attribute this to the clear (i.e. low turbidity) yet heavily tannin-stained water in this river.

20230414_114011.jpg

Next was my first snakehead of the year, this one came on a frog. I actually wasn't paying attention when the fish took my frog, I was setting my anchor pole in place. I heard the telltale "pop" of a snakehead taking topwater lure, looked up and saw my line start to go tight so I set the hook. The frog was deep in its mouth and I got a great hookset. You can see just the tips of the legs poking out in the photo.

20230414_120631.jpg

The next catch was my largest crappie of the year at 12", which hit a 3.5" paddle tail. I thought it was a bass until I brought it into the kayak. Pretty colors on this one too

20230414_122842.jpg

Last fish of the day was another colorful bass, this one a little smaller but still chunky. I believe this was a male as he "spawned" on me. Ew.

20230414_133258.jpg

That sums up the day's catches. 4 fish in 5 hours... not too bad, I've had worse days. There were at least 9 other kayakers on this small river. This location has really blown up. Fortunately there are an infinite number of "spots" to fish - every little nook and cranny along the shoreline could potentially hold a snakehead (or a bass, or a crappie, apparently). So it's not like everyone crowds the same places on the water. The most challenging part is ensuring you get a parking spot at the launch. Everyone I spoke to on the water had a similarly slow day, with just 0 to 3 fish reported.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Nice looking fish
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks John! It was nice to catch some pretty freshwater fish in a scenic location
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Now that's the type of report I like. Sounds like a fun day of fishing and I really enjoy catching multiple species on the same trip. Some really pretty fish too.

Comment

Working...
        X