Fishing western Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing western Maryland

I have been doing a bit of fishing out here in Allegany and Garrett Counties. It is just as much fun as I thought it would be.

I have hiked into the middle of nowhere to a small lake that seems to have a healthy LMB population. Bluegills too but they are on the nest now. I enjoy seeing all the activity around and in their nests. There’s been a lot of action by the bluegills protecting their nests.

Unfortunately the hike to this lake is about a 15 minute hike through some tight areas. There’s no way I’d take a kayak back there. Lots of poison ivy. I cannot forget the one time I inadvertently dragged a kayak through poison ivy so I avoid it like the plague.

Anyway the LMB were hitting on a small swim bait. I decided to switch over to a whopper plopper the second day I went there. Love the action! The bass come exploding out of the water for the plopper.

One cool thing about the whopper plopper is that I can and have made some with a 3D printer so I have a few to choose from. I found a pattern online for the printer.

I have included some pics below of a couple of fish. I wish I had taken pics of all of them but this is what I took.

I am also including some of the view and wildflowers. I’m not sure if the lure attacking critter is a salamander or a newt. There were several attacks as they are also in breeding season. if you are wondering where the mountains are in the pics I am on the mountain at about 2400 ft.

Western Maryland is awesome and not just for the fishing. I am enjoying the slower pace and lack of excessive traffic.

BTW I bought a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road. My first choice would have been a GM but there were no mid-size trucks available due to chip shortages. The kayak rides quite well in the 5 ft bed. There were only two Tacomas available at the dealership so I was lucky to get one.
    IMG_9079.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zeebyrd; 05-27-2023, 11:09 PM.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Good for you, Laura.

That's interesting about making a lure with a 3D printer. I tie flies, cut popper bodies from foam, pour jigs and make my own perch spinners, but I have never used a 3D printer for any purpose. I'm impressed.

New Germany State Park in Garrett County has a small lake with a ramp for kayaks and canoes. That would be much easier to access than the one you described above.

I can't give you a recent fishing report from there, but I caught my first ever bass and bluegill in the New Germany lake during a family camping trip six decades ago when I was only nine! I enjoy catching bass and bluegills now as much as I did then. But my method has progressed somewhat from the earthworms I suspended under a bobber at that time.

Congrats also on your Tacoma. I bought one three years ago and it has served me well as kayak cart.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark,

I have been to New Germany Lake. I took the kayak but did not have any luck. It is very beautiful there. I will go back again just not sure when.

Years back when I went to New Germany the water was crystal clear. This time it was dark and murky. I don’t remember having a lot of rain to cause that.

There’s another lake near New Germany at Little Meadows Campground. They charge to fish there but have a Wednesday free seniors day. Not sure if I get qualify at 61 but I will find out. The lake is bigger than New Germany.

I don’t mind the long trek to the lake I’ve been hiking to. For one thing it makes my Garmin smart watch happy to see the extra steps. LOL. It’s great exercise.

i truly enjoy the peace and tranquility of this lake. That makes up for the trek back there. I could sit there all day it’s so peaceful. It’s like being in another world. It’s also not heavily fished.

I just bought your book from Amazon. Can’t wait to read it!

Laura
      Last edited by zeebyrd; 05-28-2023, 03:02 PM.
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

IMG_9146.jpg Mark,

As you can see in the photo there are two original WPs and my 3D printed one. I don’t remember the different sizes of the original WP but you can see the printed one is larger than the two original ones.

You can see the small "bead" weight ahead of the front treble hook.

I have used the printed ones and they work just as good as the original ones.
        Last edited by zeebyrd; 05-28-2023, 03:31 PM.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Inflatables all the way. I REALLY think they are the way of the future. NRS KUDA is 20% off till 5/29. You can hike in blow up in about 10 minutes and catch em all

Comment

Memory Maker you are really causing issues over here. . I am so tempted to order the Kuda.

Do you have the 10’+ or the 12’+? I see the weight for each. But does that include the seat? How heavy is the pump which I would have to pack in with me? Trying to get the full weight of what I would be carrying.

This backwoods lake I’ve been going to would be so awesome to use a kayak on.
            Last edited by zeebyrd; 05-28-2023, 09:10 PM.
            Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Laura,

Your copy is of the Whopper Plopper is terrific. What an amazing technology.

Thank you for purchasing my book. I hope you find it useful.

Funny thing -- I browse Amazon for various products including fishing gear. Recently I was looking on their site for fiberglass fly rods. Soon after I got an email from Amazon saying I might be interested in this product: It was MY book! I think their automatic email alogorithm needs a slight adjustment.

Continued success to you in Western Maryland. Send us reports.

Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark,

I hope to post reports of my adventures here out in western Maryland. I hope to help generate some more activity on here. This is the best group of people here. Everyone gets along and is helpful.

I am looking into the NRS Kuda for a few reasons. One is my incredibly messed up back. Not having to lift a kayak would give me a nice break from potential back injuries. If I do get the Kuda I will be keeping my Pescador Pro 10. The other reason is potentially being able to pack the Kuda into remote areas. We will see…

There are so many fishing opportunities out here. This was part of my decision to move here. I need to do some research to see the different locations.

I am looking forward to reading your book. Your bluegill presentation was great. I learned a lot from it.
                Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                  Memory Maker you are really causing issues over here. . I am so tempted to order the Kuda.

Do you have the 10’+ or the 12’+? I see the weight for each. But does that include the seat? How heavy is the pump which I would have to pack in with me? Trying to get the full weight of what I would be carrying.

This backwoods lake I’ve been going to would be so awesome to use a kayak on.
                  I am sooooo sorry but I just saw your post today. I have the 12’6” one. I think the weight includes the seat but I won’t know till mine comes in. The pump is lightweight and I think the pump comes with it. Please feel free to pm me if you want. I would love to talk to you about western Md fishing.

Comment

Working...
                  X