Middle Potomac 5/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Potomac 5/29

Son and I hit the Mighty Mac above Great falls/below Harpers on Monday 5/29 (Memorial Day).
    River was low, like I like it. Predicted overcast with occasion drizzle.
    Launched at 5:30 in steady/light rain.
    The rain was steady light to barely a drizzle, on and off until 9:00,, it kept everyone off the river and we had it to ourselves.
    We fished about 4 hours and each landed about 10 Smallies.
    My best smallie outing ever,, 19", 18", 17" a few 15-16 inchers,, DSCN3420.jpg
    DSCN3416.jpg
    DSCN3424.jpg
    DSCN3426.jpg
    DSCN3437.jpg
    Last edited by Slackdaddy; 06-06-2023, 07:16 AM.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Excellent results in tough conditions.

Those are big smallies.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Excellent results in tough conditions.

Those are big smallies.

Congratulations.
      Yeah,, Like a fool we came unprepared, brought no rain gear as we thought it would be overcast with very slim chance for a passing sprinkle.
      Wipers were on high the entire 1 hour drive to the put in.
      We were wearing cotton hoodies, but had dry shirts in the kayaks. The hoodies soaked through at 8:30 and I told him we have 20 minutes left and we are head out (fear of hypothermia) , it stopped raining 15 min later and we switched to dry shirts and fished to ~10:00

I only ran 2 rods: Buzz bait and a "Wee Crawl" crank.
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Congratulations Slackdaddy and thank you for the report. I fished Edwards ferry about a month ago and I landed 13 smallies in about five hours...I had never caught so many smallies in a single day before. I am glad to see that they are still around and the sizes that you caught are fantastic....they must have put up a good fight on light tackle.

One question....the "I only ran 2 rods: Buzz bait and a "Wee Crawl" crank"" ... when you say you ran two rods, were you trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
          Congratulations Slackdaddy and thank you for the report. I fished Edwards ferry about a month ago and I landed 13 smallies in about five hours...I had never caught so many smallies in a single day before. I am glad to see that they are still around and the sizes that you caught are fantastic....they must have put up a good fight on light tackle.

One question....the "I only ran 2 rods: Buzz bait and a "Wee Crawl" crank"" ... when you say you ran two rods, were you trolling?
          No trolling
          I meant I only carried 2 rigged rods on the kayak, typ I carry 3 or 4 ready to cast, depending on the opertunity presented.
          This trip I only had 1 topwater (buzz bait) and 1 sub surface (Crank bait), I never changed lures or even retied. A very minimalist day.

My son was throwing a white spinner rig and a small "Whopper Plopper"
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
          X