Tygart Lake State Park West Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tygart Lake State Park West Virginia

IMG_0059.jpg I had a great time at Tygart State Park in Grafton, WVa. At first I was a bit put off by how long it took to get there. Got two different estimates via iPhone maps and GPS. So I figured I don't have to go back if I don’t want to.

Well my mind changed quickly! It’s really nice there. Not crowded which is the norm out this way and beyond.

First fish I caught was a 2.83 pound LMB. I guessed t3 pounds before I weighed it so I was close. Caught several
    more but none matched the “rod bender”. At first I thought I had gotten caught on a cable that was holding a floating dock in place. When it started moving around I knew it wasn’t.

I do plan on going back. I highly recommend Tygart Lake. No entrance or launch fee. Of course you need a WVa fishing license.

Edited to include SMB photo. Had to mess around to get all the pics here so not sure why one pic ended up at top of post. I've had a long day and it won't end for several hours.
    IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0080.jpg image_26827.jpg
    Last edited by zeebyrd; 08-17-2023, 06:36 PM.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Great report ……. Thanks

Comment

WVa seems like a great find. That 2.83-pound LMB was a notable catch!

Comment

Thank you. Sorry to reply late but the system didn’t notify me that I had a response from you.

I have been fishing the North Branch of the Potomac catching some nice SMB. They aren’t as big as the 16” to 17” SMB that used to be in the Daniels Dam area of the Patapsco.

I have also realized that I can drive to Virginia in around 50 miles so that’s my next destination. I’m happy out here
        In western Maryland. There are so many more fishing locations for me. To make it even better it osny
        crowded at any of the fishing locations I have found.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by zeebyrd; 10-24-2023, 09:36 PM.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

River smallmouth bass is my favorite fishing. Thanks for posting the reports. I've never fished in West Virginia or the Northern Branch of the Potomac. I really love kayak fishing the Potomac river, but I'm usually somewhere between Harpers Ferry and Great Falls.

Comment

if you like Tyrgart lake you can fish the dam below it as well, but i highly recommend stonewall jackson if you want to catch 3-4lb regularly
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
            X