I need any advise on Nags head fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need any advise on Nags head fishing

We are heading to Nags head this weekend and I would appreciate any advise to go fishing on a kayak and surf fishing.Thank you!

I’ve fished the areas south of Nags Head proper many times. You can catch redfish, stripers, flounder, spec trout from your kayak on the Sound side of OBX. (I don’t do surf fishing). If you are actually in Nags Head, I’d recommend the bait/fishing store on S. Virginia Dare Hwy that runs between S. Nags Head and Manteo for local info. Just east of the bait shop is a public kayak ramp with plenty of parking. In Manteo on Festival Park Road are two launches. IMO, the best place is Oregon Inlet, a few miles south of Nags Head. There is a kayak launch to the left of the charter boat area (there is a live camera stream of the marina/kayak launch. Google OBX Live Cam Oregon Inlet). You can fish from your kayak or wade out and catch multiple varieties of fish. ( Keep out of the way of the charter boat channel).
    The wind and heat is always an issue in OBX for yakkers this time of year. Go early. Hope this helps, good luck!
    Al

Comment

Kayak: My favorite launch is the north side of Oregon Inlet, just beside the fishing center. You can either fish the grass flats to the left (you'll see lots of yakkers and people wade fishing). Throw soft plastics around the edges of the flats for trout, or throw Johnson silver minnow weedless spoons over the top of the bed for drum. They are almost always there. You can also cross the boat channel from the launch and hang a right to fish tons of grass flats up on the inside. The other launch is on the causeway about 100 yards down from Oceans East. It's super shallow but if you head south there are creek mouths that hold drum on the outgoing. If it's dead calm and you want to chance a surf launch, there are a series of wrecks just offshore you can google up. They are loaded with triggers, sea bass, flounder, etc. The third option is down on Hatteras Island at the Pea Island boat ramp back in the sound. Lots of fish on the grass flats.

Surf: Stop in at TW's or Oceans East. They'll hook you up. I've always been partial to Nags Head Pier if you want to get on the planks, or concentrate on the surf within a mile or so north of the pier. Good structure. Toss a bottom rig baited with bloodworm fishbites and dig up sand fleas. Fresh shrimp are also good. With that setup you'll catch pompano, sea mullet, black drum, pups, you name it. Have stingsilvers or other long-casting metal handy in case blues or spanish show in the afternoon--boils of false albacore also happen but they vanish really quickly if you don't get them on the first couple of casts.
      Last edited by Pamlico; 09-02-2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you guys for your reply.We cancelled our trip.

Comment

That's good but you should kept fishing kayak.
          Last edited by Ivis; 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X