Algae bloom on Rocky Gorge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algae bloom on Rocky Gorge

Anybody have any information on the blue green algae bloom on Rocky Gorge? I got pretty sick after fishing there in my kayak a week or so ago and am pretty sure it's because of the algae. I really want to get back out there, that's where I keep my kayak, but I don't ever want to get that sick again. WSSC is no help. Thanks for any info you might have.
    Carpe Pisces

Sorry I'm late to seeing this. Nope, this is the first I've heard about it, but I'm curious what kind of illness you experienced? I just drove over Brighton Dam yesterday and Triadelphia is still low so I'm guessing they are still working on the dam repairs there. Rocky Gorge looks low too, but I'm guessing that is just due to lack of rainfall. Since so much of the bottom of Triadelphia is exposed, when it rains a lot of sediment and muck goes down through the dam and towards the top end of Rocky Gorge. Not sure if that would cause an algae bloom and higher nitrogen levels, or if it is just the lack of rainfall in general.

Comment

Last summer the WSSC issued health advisories about the blue/green algae blooms in Triadelphia during the sediment removal project at Brighton Dam. The reservoir water was drawn down to accomodate the sediment project.

Boat ramps were closed to the public. I did not fish there last year.

The advisories mentioned that the drinking water suplied by WSSC was safe but cautioned people to avoid recreational activities in waters with algea blooms.

The Triadelphia sediment removal was supposed to be completed last fall. I hope it was and that the reservoir returns to full recreational use this year.

Last week I received my 2024 WSSC pass for Triadelphia.

It will be interesting to see if the lengthy water drawdown during the sediment removal impacts fishing there this year.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'll probably get my WSSC permit this year if Triadelphia is open. I live about a mile below the dam and it's the closest place to take my kayak.

Comment

Working...
        X