No announcement yet.

Muskie Fishing the Potomac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a new plan for my next fishing trip! I will post report win or lose! Wish me luck!
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Good luck man!
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

They are obviously there but 'ski hunters are probably the most close lipped bunch of guys I've run across. Understandable considering the amount of time and effort and the general lack of fish they are dealing with. I was lucky enough to join a gentleman who has some experience chasing them on his boat this weekend and we each boated a fish each a few other follows in 12ish hours of fishing. A good day considering a follow can be a lot of action some days. Big lures (8 inches is a small muskie lure) and fish in the same areas you would for bass would be my suggestion. Be persistant and willing to take a skunk. Fishing should only heat up as the temps cool down. Next goal for me is to land one in the yak!

Comment

I appreciate your comment about locations, but I think you would do much better to focus your efforts a good bit upstream of Harpers Ferry.
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Decided to give it a go this eve at Williamsport. Never put in there before. Paddled up to the mouth of Conococheague Creek and was scoping out the bottom as I approached the mouth of the creek. Water was very clear...depth finder was reading 5-6 feet and you could clearly see the bottom. I had packed some chicken strips in the cooler just incase I found a nice hole along the way. Saw a few catfish here and there, the occasional big carp and then what I think was a Muskie. I see carp and catfish all the time in the river and this was neither. Had a definite "snout" compared to a carp and did not have the scales. Roughly 30-35" long and was hugging the bottom. I tried anchoring a fished that area with a few chicken strips but came up empty. This was a fish I've never seen in the Potomac and the area would be a decent location for a muskie to be hanging out.

Comment

Could have been a Musky. That is a known location for them.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Unfortunately, I will never know for sure. My first thought was it's body shape looked like the gars I have seen in Mattawoman creek but this fish did not have the long nose on him. BTW, the smallies were lighting up the crayfish crankbait. Man, I hate to see fishing season slipping away....but awesome weather here recently.

Comment

I have fished above Harpers Ferry for many years. I have never caught a musky. I have talked to other fisherman, who have said to caught them or to have lost them, in the same area that I fish. For me, notta. I am quite surprised, as I have also fished large live shinners in the same area. I have caught lots of smallmouth and a few walleye. Someday! Of course, I generally don't fish musky tackle.

Comment

If there anything like pike and pickerel, to get them to stop following and to commit i would use a big 10" fluke 6/0 hook and tie able leader. And make that thing move real erratic. Walk the piss out of it.
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                    X