No announcement yet.

Upper Potomac winter fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s not the upper Potomac but back in the late 1990s I went on two guided trips on the Susquehanna above Harrisburg with Bob Clouser (inventor of the Clouser Minnow) and his son. Those were warm water trips in the summer. They told me that they catch the largest smallmouth bass of the year in February/March by jigging in deeper holes on the Susquehanna. Deep in that water meant 8 to 10 feet. I imagine smallmouth behavior in the Potomac is the same. I’ve never tried winter fishing on either river.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You could try Seneca Creek State Park. I think that is open year round. The Upper P should be off limits as the water is kind of raging. I won't fish Upper P until water is in the mid 40's. Bass are very sluggish and don't eat much water temps below 40.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

below Dickerson power plant, to White Ferry, the water is 60, when generating. Do-able while wading or from shore.

"Shoreline fishing at Little Seneca Lake in Black Hills Regional Park is allowed year round but they are closed to all boating (including kayaks) from December 16th to March 1st"
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Anyone ever fished below the Williamsport power plant?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Anyone ever fished below the Williamsport power plant?
            Yes but I believe they shut down that Power Station at Williamsport so they are no longer pumping warm water.

just a clarification:

"Little Seneca Lake" in Black Hill Regional Park is closed to boating December 16th to March 1st.

"Clopper Lake" in Seneca Creek State Park is open all winter for boating, weather permitting (that lake has Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Yellow Perch and Sunfish)

website: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...ral/seneca.asp
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
              Yes but I believe they shut down that Power Station at Williamsport so they are no longer pumping warm water.

just a clarification:

"Little Seneca Lake" in Black Hill Regional Park is closed to boating December 16th to March 1st.

"Clopper Lake" in Seneca Creek State Park is open all winter for boating, weather permitting (that lake has Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Yellow Perch and Sunfish)

website: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...ral/seneca.asp
              Dave is correct, they shut down that Power Station. Too costly to retrofit.

Comment

Working...
              X