No announcement yet.

Small muskie on the Upper Potomac- 1/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is great. I have fished the upper Potomac for many years. The musky remains elusive to me. I have talked to others who have returned to the ramp with tales of musky. Some day, Some day.

PS: Thanks for the release.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I caught one once by pure luck. Targeting smallies in the spring. Would love to catch another one some day, but I'm usualluy fishing too far down river. Snakeheads are just as much (if not more) fun and easier to locate though

Comment

What are you wearing for gear. Looked like wetsuit pants?

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            What are you wearing for gear. Looked like wetsuit pants?
            Chest waders. Thermal pants/shirt. Under Armour shirt. Flanel pajama pants. A few more layers of shirts and a Columbia fleece. It was cold, but I was comfy for the most part. Did wish I had more than one pair of socks on.

Comment

Nice job dude, those are not often caught around there. I know your pain with foot warmth--however the answer is usually not more socks (air is the best insulator). Try the foot-length foot warmers (or even the toe pad warmers). I know they sound gimmicky but trust me, what a huge difference they make...and they last a real long time. I do the same with my hands in cold weather

Comment

Awesome catch man! Ive fished up and down the upper Potomac and have never landed a Muskie. With that said, the only place I have ever laid eyes on one was in that area. Right at the mouth of Conococheague Creek. Where did you put in?

Comment

nice catch!! luckyyyyyy, Havent caught one in my kayak yet. I just got it last season and stuck to the lakes to get used to it. I am from that area and catch quite a few muskie (5 or 6 last year) starting when the water temp hits about 40 and in the fall when it starts to cool down. Largest being 47 inches this past fall. Big crankbaits and jerkbaits is what I have the most luck with. Near aqueducts and weed lines by deeper water. Muskies are a blast!!!! (when I can find them lol)

Comment

Welcome to the site Jeston, I'm from Clear Spring and fish from little pool to the Susky Flats. Archery Rob and I fish together a lot. Give us a shout sometime and let's hook up !

Comment

Has anybody tried kayak fishing and camping along the c&o? I know there some camping spots but not sure they are within range of each other. I was thinking about biking and fishing the trail but got a kayak instead. Itch mostly scratched.
                      PigPen - Mt Airy
                      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                        Welcome to the site Jeston, I'm from Clear Spring and fish from little pool to the Susky Flats. Archery Rob and I fish together a lot. Give us a shout sometime and let's hook up !
                        wow its such a small world i love little pool and went to clear spring high school!! i will definatly give you a shout!

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                          Has anybody tried kayak fishing and camping along the c&o? I know there some camping spots but not sure they are within range of each other. I was thinking about biking and fishing the trail but got a kayak instead. Itch mostly scratched.
                          I tried to set one up last year and plan to do it this year.

Jeston, I live just down Sharpsburg pike past the Ag Center.
                          Last edited by archeryrob; 01-25-2014, 08:34 AM.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Let me know, if you're looking for company. I think there is camping in the state forest across from Paw Paw. The C&O bike trail sites talk about camp sites as well but not sure what the water access is like.
                            PigPen - Mt Airy
                            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

@PigPen: I've biked the whole length of the C&O Canal 3 times....& there are campsites about every 10 miles, w/a water pump & JiffyJon....located between the river and the towpath....1st come,1st served....just set up your tent. There's also a hostel on the MD side of Harper's Ferry nr where the highway bridge crosses the river. I hope this helpful....usually when I think about doing a float, the water level is too low.

Comment

I have all the campsites on my Google earth placement pins. I figured one float of Little Orleans to Hancock. as its out the way up there and less traffic.

Thoughts on other places are welcome. Hit me up on PM and we'll exchange e-mails and maybe we can get a couple in this year.
                                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                                X