No announcement yet.

Delaware River Snakeheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok ok maybe I came off a little strong. It just frustrates me seeing people kill these amazing creatures based on pseudo science and DNR orders. Ive yet to see empirical data or scientific papers on snakeheads negatively impacting bass or other gamefish populations. I've lived thru this before when they discovered flatheads in philly. I loved catching them and the PA DNR issued the same mandatory kill decree. The result was people catching them and leaving them with their bellies slit open on the banks to die.

After a few years the DNR said forget it they're established do whatever you want. Thousands of flatheads died before that happened and it was very sad/disturbing to witness people killing fish and wasting them. It's the same pattern I see emerging here. People can do what they want and certainly should obey the DNR if they feel obliged to. Did not mean to offend anyone.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I think bass lovers and SH lovers can coexist. SH had a lot of bad press. I personally think it's better than bass as sport fish but I'm bias obviously, but they've been here over 10 years and has no proven negative impact. Odenkirk, the marine biologist that tag & release SH to study it, doesn't think SH is making any significant impact on the Potomac system. You can fear it for what it might become or you can accept it as a wonderful sport fish.

SH are getting quite popular. People are driving 1-2 hours to come and fish for SH. I see a lot of different types of frog lures at my local sporting good store. Bass will attack frog, no question about it but we all know that SH love frog. I think all the new frog lures are aiming at SH instead of bass.

I think both species can coexist as well. I think people give too little credit for LMB. If they could be wipe out then it would not become such a problem in Japan. In Japan, they are an invasive species because they eat SH babies and Japanese people afraid of LMB wiping out SH.

I don't believe in killing things unless I'm gonna eat it, otherwise it is a such a waste of resources. If you expect SH fisherman to release LMB for you to fish, I think you should do the same for SH.

Comment

Delaware River Snakeheads

I didnt know that is happening in japan.
        Last edited by MrT; 06-15-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
          I think bass lovers and SH lovers can coexist. SH had a lot of bad press. I personally think it's better than bass as sport fish but I'm bias obviously, but they've been here over 10 years and has no proven negative impact. Odenkirk, the marine biologist that tag & release SH to study it, doesn't think SH is making any significant impact on the Potomac system. You can fear it for what it might become or you can accept it as a wonderful sport fish.

SH are getting quite popular. People are driving 1-2 hours to come and fish for SH. I see a lot of different types of frog lures at my local sporting good store. Bass will attack frog, no question about it but we all know that SH love frog. I think all the new frog lures are aiming at SH instead of bass.

I think both species can coexist as well. I think people give too little credit for LMB. If they could be wipe out then it would not become such a problem in Japan. In Japan, they are an invasive species because they eat SH babies and Japanese people afraid of LMB wiping out SH.

I don't believe in killing things unless I'm gonna eat it, otherwise it is a such a waste of resources. If you expect SH fisherman to release LMB for you to fish, I think you should do the same for SH.
          Snakehead aren't native to Japan either; they were introduced...just like LMB. LMB became popular very quickly in Japan and were spread all over the country, fishing tournaments exploded...then they realized the native fish were suffering, and in some cases/locations wiped out.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
          X