Water Clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Clarity

Reading some other reports on the current water clarity, it seems we have some mixed reviews. My perception of it over the last few days (Tridelphia) was "good" or "clear". I could see the bottom at 4~4.5 feet on Friday and with the wind Saturday, could see the bottom at ~3.5 feet or so.

Is there any kind of gauge we should use so everone is on the same page?

Something along the lines of these completely ficticious numbers and clarities:

Less than a foot = Muddy
    Two feet = stained
    Three feet or more = clear/good

I'm thinking of making a Secchi Disk to take out on my next trip, so I could get a more accuarate measurement for posting conditions.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

It's inconsistent. In the summer of 2011 we had a bad drought in the region and the water clarity was almost gin clear like Loch Raven. American shad colored Lucky Crafts were good. This past summer (2013) we had rain almost every week so the water was always muddy/stained so firetiger was a good color. This past weekend the water looks to be in between. We're getting more rain this week... so I don't think the clarity will last for long
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I think it depends on where you are fishing at Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge. The top end of both reservoirs is often stained or down right muddy where the river and creeks dump in. There is always better water clarity near the dams. I'm happy if I can see 3 or 4 feet down.

Comment

Working...
      X