Upper Potomac 6/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac 6/23

Put in at Taylor's Landing this afternoon and slowly made my way down river. A great afternoon of fishing with just about every species of fish hitting my lucky crayfish crank bait . Caught 7 sm ,9 sunfish, 1 rock bass, 2 channel cat and one very nice walleye. All in about 4 hours. The sm were nothing to write home about but the walleye really took me by surprise. Unfortunately, it flopped out of my hands when I removed the hook...before I could measure or take a pic. I would estimate 18-20". I really thought I hooked a catfish the way it fought....hugged the bottom. Ive fished this area for years and this is only the second walleye Ive caught. Sucks I didn't get a pic of what was probably the best fish i'll catch out of the upper potomac this year.

Hey ! Congrats on the eye. They do frequent that area. Did you see any Musky? I don't up to that stretch very often. I think maybe once in ten years. Did you shuttle or paddle up and float back?
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Thanks, runnin. No shuttle this time as I was riding solo. I have found the fishing to be better on the left hand bank floating down from the boat ramp. I only float about a mile and then paddle back up to the ramp. No Musky...never caught one and have only seen one in my life. That was last year up near the Williamsport ramp. Where do you usually fish in the Potomac?

Comment

Poolz1, always great to see reports about the Upper Potomac.
        Is Taylor's Landing the location that has two boat ramps, one above a ledge and one below a ledge?
        That sounds like a great day of fishing. I just got a plastic fish gripper this year and that thing is great. Works well when holding fish on the measuring device for photos. They are pretty cheap too. I think I got mine from Austin Kayak with the last order I made from there.

Comment

My stompin' grounds are farther south. I frequently fish Swainslock, and I like in summer flow conditions to float Seneca Breaks. One of my favorite trips. Put in at Violets lock, float down through the breaks, and then use the take out below the breaks and portage to C and O canal and paddle the canal back to Violets.

Swainslock is a little difficult. It's a decent distance from parking to put in (need a cart) and the put in is a very steep yet short hill that when wet can be a real challenge to get your yak back out.

I occasionally like Brunswick to POR or Lander but it is about a 45 minute drive, and I don;t always have a shuttle partner.
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Runnin we need to coordinate some trips. The Breaks, Pennyfield, and Swains are where I like to go in the summer. I also enjoy Brunswick and Lander.
            I haven't hit the Upper Potomac yet this year and want to get out there soon.

Comment

I like the water to be lower than it is right now to fish that area, but I'm getting the itch to go out there.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
              X