No announcement yet.

Color test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed the same thing while running a firetiger vs white/silver lure. The fish react to fast moving lures in brighter colors better.

For lures that move slower like soft plastics and jerkbaits, natural colors seem to work better since the fish have more time to look them over.
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Have you seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZF9oJUD74

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
        That's pretty cool. I gotta get some paddle tails.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah looks like the rule is in clear water/blue skies use dark natural neutral colors and cloudy skies/muddy stained water use brights.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            ... I've got a couple flies I'm going to try for them, they look like a little puff of cotton. I'll try to find the recipe this evening, I got it out of Hatches magazine IIRC...if nothing else, I can take a picture of one of them that I tied and post that.
            Found a picture on my computer, it's called a Puff Diddy. Can't find the magazine it was in, but found it online. It can be tied with any color combination. The main puffy part is CDC.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2013/07/...-puff-diddies/

Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              The one I caught this morning was hanging out with a few others under overhanging bushes and vines. Not sure about mulberries but there was honeysuckle and some small red berries. Good luck!
              Thanks for the info. Now I gotta find a mulberry tree hanging over water.
              I went back out this morning to the same place and sure enough, huge mulberry tree leaning over the lake. The carp were hanging out underneath so I threw a popper with a white bucktail. They'd swirl at it but it seemed to be too big for them. I downsized to a small silver Yozuri minnow, the smallest thing I had with me and they'd follow it but no strike. I paddled over to the tree and grabbed some mulberries (they were all white, no dark ones). I hooked a mulberry on the front treble of the minnow and that did it, they crushed it on the 1st cast! The school seemed to disperse after I caught one so I paddled up the shore about 100 yards and find another mulberry tree. I throw the lure with mulberry attached and bang as soon as it hits the water. But something's different, this one isn't pulling me into the mulberry tree, it bolts for deeper water. After a wicked run on the drag, it comes up just enough for me to see the huge lateral line before diving again, it's a monster LM. This is turning into an awesome morning! I land him and cast right back under the tree and get another carp. I would love to have stayed for hours but had to get to work. I ended up with 2 carp and 6 LM including the 22" in the pic below.

Cowpokey, find those mulberries!

20140625_094313.jpg 20140625_095254.jpg 20140625_080327.jpg

~Mike
              Last edited by Mike; 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM. Reason: wrong pic
              Mike
              Feelfree Lure 11.5
              Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Sweet! Anyone know if there are mulberries around Tridelphia or Rocky Gorge? I'm not sure what they look like, I'll have to check the google...
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Sweet! Anyone know if there are mulberries around Tridelphia or Rocky Gorge? I'm not sure what they look like, I'll have to check the google...
                  Check the center pic of my edited post, there are 3 white mulberries on the hatch cover. The tree itself is nothing special, you'll probably have better luck just looking for the berries than trying to identify the tree.

For what it's worth, here's the mulberry tree leaning over the water.
                  mulberry2.jpg
                  Last edited by Mike; 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM.
                  Mike
                  Feelfree Lure 11.5
                  Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Check the center pic of my edited post, there are 3 white mulberries on the hatch cover. The tree itself is nothing special, you'll probably have better luck just looking for the berries than trying to identify the tree.
                    Thanks, I didn't notice them the first time I opened your pictures.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks, I didn't notice them the first time I opened your pictures.

For what it's worth, here's the mulberry tree leaning over the water.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]12364[/ATTACH]
                      Just a follow up on the mulberries and carp, I've continued to catch them in the same 2 locations but not at other locations where mulberry trees exist. Turns out the white mulberries in the pic are not unripe, they are fully ripe white mulberries. the larger berries are very juicy and sticky just like their red counterparts. After scouring 2 lakes in the area, these are the only 2 white mulberry trees, all the others are black or red. Just 20 yards away there are 2 black mulberry trees with no carp hanging around. I didn't know white mulberries existed, but now I do and carp seem to love them.
                      -Mike
                      Mike
                      Feelfree Lure 11.5
                      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Now that is my kind of "by catch". Catching a 22" largemouth while carp fishing! Awesome!
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                        X