My 1st Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st Video

I've been wanting to get a camera to try some fishing videos and found a good deal on the Swann Freestyle HD action cam that I couldn't pass up. $109 with free shipping. Comes with a bunch of different mounts, a remote, a waterproof case and a detachable LCD screen. The waterproof case kills any sound recording like most do so I used it without the case.
    Took it out last sunday to Triadelphia to test it out. Only my 2nd time to Triadelphia and this time we launched at the ramp on the upper portion of Triadelphia.
    Video is a little long and probably boring to watch for most but this was my 1st attempt at making a video. Hopefully I'll get better at this.

We managed to catch 10 Lg Mouths this trip but unfortunately only got a couple on video. We even had a beaver make an appearance today. Just wish I could have gotten closer.

Recorded in 1080P so if your PC can handle it set your you tube settings to 1080p.

If anyone is interested in the camera here is a link for some info.
    http://www.swann.com/us/swvid-sportl

And a link where I bought it off ebay. The seller is actually in MD too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130855550114...ectorid=229466

The sound has some back ground hissing and noise but it can easily be removed with a free program called audacity after converting the video to a wave file. I used another free program called (anyconverter) to convert the file to wave. The video was put together using Windows live movie maker. After watching a few tutorial videos on how to convert the files and using movie maker, putting it all together was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. The 1st 45 seconds of the video has the raw footage with the hiss in the back ground. The rest of the video I used audacity to remove the hiss and also to amplify the sound a little.
    Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 06-28-2014, 08:41 AM.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Nice work!
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Super cool, Rick. I love Triadelphia Reservoir and fish it all the time. Really interesting to see someone else's approach to fishing a spot that you're familiar with...esp with some success. The upper lake looks a little stained as usual. I fished the lower lake last weekend and it was as clear as I'd ever seen it (could see bottom in ~3.5ft). Nice fish, too. A 19" LM will make anyone's day. Curious, though-how did you make your mirage drive go backwards after you caught the big one? Keep the videos coming!!!
      John D.
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      GO RAVENS!!!
      GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

nice video! checked out the reservoir with my father last night for the first time and man does it look like a great place to launch my kayak. do wssc permits expire at the end of the year or a year from the purchase date? thanks!
        Michael
        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Mbae-sadly the permits expire the end of November when the WSSC lakes close to recreational activities. It would be nice to fish there in December before it ices over. Enjoy it now!!!
          John D.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          GO RAVENS!!!
          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
            Mbae-sadly the permits expire the end of November when the WSSC lakes close to recreational activities. It would be nice to fish there in December before it ices over. Enjoy it now!!!
            ahh thanks for the info! guess its better off i wait till next jan to purchase a permit to get the most use out of it since $70 is not cheap especially if i choose to buy one now. how strict are they with enforcing the reservoirs for permits and such? it would be nice to be able to get out there a few times..
            Michael
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I've just been getting the daily permits. Well worth the $6 fee IMO. I may get the yearly permit next season If I think I'll fish there enough. The permits are good for Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge. Havent had the chance to fish the Gorge yet but plan to soon.

As for backing up after hooking a fish I use a hand paddle for quick maneuvering. I fish a lot of laydowns and over hangs and seem to always get pulled into them when I hook up so the hand paddle comes in real handy. That way I don't have to set the rod down and grab the kayak paddle. I just use one of those cheapo aluminum callapsable ones with the orange paddle you can get at walmart, bass pro or west marine. I keep it right under the front edge of my seat so its easy to grab.

The upper portion was definitely not as clear as the lower section. The one creek where we saw the beaver was very muddy as you could see in the video.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                Thanks for the replies.

I've just been getting the daily permits. Well worth the $6 fee IMO. I may get the yearly permit next season If I think I'll fish there enough. The permits are good for Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge. Havent had the chance to fish the Gorge yet but plan to soon.

As for backing up after hooking a fish I use a hand paddle for quick maneuvering. I fish a lot of laydowns and over hangs and seem to always get pulled into them when I hook up so the hand paddle comes in real handy. That way I don't have to set the rod down and grab the kayak paddle. I just use one of those cheapo aluminum callapsable ones with the orange paddle you can get at walmart, bass pro or west marine. I keep it right under the front edge of my seat so its easy to grab.

The upper portion was definitely not as clear as the lower section. The one creek where we saw the beaver was very muddy as you could see in the video.
                thanks for the info. as for the daily permits, how do they work? do you have to go to the office near brighton dam to get them or can you purchase them online the same day you plan to go out?
                Michael
                Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Ive just went and purchased them from the visitor center at Brighton Dam but you can also purchase them online. I havent tried online yet but I assume when you purchase you can print them out. I dont have a working printer right now and have been thinking about seeing if I can just get a copy onto my cell phone to show them if I'm asked. I'll update this if that works.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

WSSC has a smartphone app (definitely for iPhone, not sure about android). You can buy permits with the app. I asked one of the wssc police and he said that you can use the app to verify the permit purchase and not have to print it out. Pretty cool.
                    John D.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

I find it interesting that if you buy a permit online they charge an additional ($1.50?) administrative/processing fee, when you are inputting the information and using your paper/ink....but if you go to the office there's no extra fee, they input the information and use office paper/ink.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

thanks again. planning to maybe head out to triadelphia on thursday. not too sure what time it'll be but hope to hook into some fish!
                        Michael
                        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                          WSSC has a smartphone app (definitely for iPhone, not sure about android). You can buy permits with the app. I asked one of the wssc police and he said that you can use the app to verify the permit purchase and not have to print it out. Pretty cool.
                          Thanks just downloaded it. Going to Rocky Gorge today.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                          X