Upper Potomac 6/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac 6/28

Got up early and hit the local stretch of the Upper Potomac. The water level was nearly identical to last week. The water is still incredibly stained for this time of year. I con;t remember a year where there was only a foot visibility at the beginning of July. The weather conditions were very different than last week. Last week was intermittent showers, this week was nice a clear with a good breeze.

So for the fishing. I started hoping for a topwater bite. The water was stained so I tried a Bandit footloose, and a white buzzer. No bites on the footloose at all, I saw a bass crash a school of bait up against a bank so I threw the buzzer his way. I did get a good blow up on the buzzer but swung and missed. After a couple dozen casts on the buzzer, I gave up.

I tied on the trusty soft plastics. I fished a grub and a senko wacky style. I got no bites for nearly an hour and a half and wasn;t happy.Once the sun came out They started to wake up.

I tried the Rebel craw. I did ok with the sunfish. I got 3 in short order but bass wouldn't touch it. I went to a chartreuse grub and they seemed to like it better . I got occasional hits and fish in mid river cover. Nothing off banks. The fish were all clones of one another.about 10".

I continued with the grub and got about a dozen of the 10" clones.

As I was nearing my take out I was just crawling the grub really slow behind a BIG boulder. I ha a tap that fel like a sunfish. I swung a missed, threw it back to exact same spot and got this 17" smallie.

DSCF7240.jpg

At that point I called it a day.

So I got around a dozen smallies including the 17, and 3 sunfish. I saw a bald eagle, lots of herons, and lots of deer. Pretty morning. Hope you all had a good day at the meet and greet.

Senko : 1 smallie
    Flukes: Nada
    Tubes: Nada
    Grubs: About a dozen smallies
    Footloose: Nada
    Rebel Craw: 3 sunfish
    Suspending shad Rap" Nada
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

That's a beaut! I caught a few like that last yr below the Dickerson region. If you want Big smallies on the upper Potomac you have to throw wacky rigged Senkos. It's that simple. Dark in stained conditions and silver/ white when clear. Weightless is best with just a few twitches and patience. Thanks for the great pic! PS. I live in Clarksburg so PM me and we can get out together. I have some great spots on the Potomac!

Comment

Just the other day a Baltimore TV weather guy reported that mid Maryland rainfall so far this year is 5"-7" above normal... so yeah, we are having a wet year so far. The Potomac downriver from Harper Ferry is showing it too. I think rainfall in central PA is even higher. The Susky at Harrisburg, my favorite smallie river, has been flowing mostly well above average the past few months. I'm still waiting for the Susky to drop down to near summer low flow. Every time it nears average flow we get another storm and back up up goes. And I'm getting antzy to go fishing there.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice report running. A 17 inch Potomac smallie is awesome!
        I had too many chores to get out early but made it to the river inside the Beltway at sunset for some wading. I didn't go out far and didn't catch any fish from the Potomac. Did get a white crappie and a largemouth bass from the Canal.

Comment

Nice smallie!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post

Senko : 1 smallie
            Flukes: Nada
            Tubes: Nada
            Grubs: About a dozen smallies
            Footloose: Nada
            Rebel Craw: 3 sunfish
            Suspending shad Rap" Nada
            That is pretty much how my catches would look if I broke it down. The simple grubs on a jighead are killing it for me right now!

Comment

Nice Smallie!! Way to go!
              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
              X