Tuesday at Broad Creek & wednesday at Rocky Gorge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday at Broad Creek & wednesday at Rocky Gorge

Burning up a little vacation time this week and hitting a few areas for the 1st time.

With some wind forecasted for Tuesday decided to hit Broad creek for the 1st time. Had stopped at the launch late last year checking out some susky launch areas and new this was one place I wanted to try out. We turned right coming out of the cove and fished some lay downs and shore lines and picked up 2 small lg mouths. We made our way out to the mouth of the creek into the susky but the winds drove us back in. Hit some coves and more laydows heading back. Had a few hits that didn't make it to the yaks. Once back near the launch area we headed under the bridge and up the creek. I didn't know what to expect up there and thought it would get tight and shallow but was surprised how far we could go. Plenty of deep water and good laydowns to fish.. It started getting late on us after a shore landing for a late lunch so after getting back on the water we hurried and went farther up the creek just to see what was up there. We did more sight seeing than fishing at that point. I didn't expect to see all the shore homes all along the creek that far up and never did get to where we would have needed to turn back due to shallow water. It was getting late so we turned around and started back. I definitely plan on another visit there and will head up the creek 1st next time to see how far we can go. Wasn't the best fishing day with only landing 2 lg mouths but this is a beautiful area to kayak and we got to see a couple young deer playing at the waters edge, 2 raccoons scampering around a couple docks and even had my 1st ever eagle sighting. It was a fun day and looking forward to going again.

If anyone has some tips to fishing there I'm all ears. I was expecting to find some small mouth action from what I've heard about the place but I guess we weren't using the right techniques.

With the high nineties temps and 15 mph winds forecast for Wednesday we decided to hit Rocky Gorge for the 1st time hoping to get some wind blockage and shade from the tall trees along the shorelines. We launched at Scotts cove and headed out looking for laydowns to fish and was able to find plenty. Between the 2 of us we caught 8 lg mouths. They were all small with the biggest going around 2 pounds which my GF caught. Not the 1st time she ever out fished me but it was the 1st time bass fishing. Didn't get to fish as long as we would have liked. Started hearing thunder from the west and checked the weather map on my phone and saw a cell heading towards us and started back. Wind started to pick up and when we got near the ramp a big bolt of lightening cracked just on the other side of the lake. YUP...Its time to go!! Hurried up and loaded up during a little rain shower and by the time we were loaded the storm cell was already past and wasn't to severe. Left just in time to hit some late rush hour traffic but wasn't to bad. Rocky gorge is definitely another nice area to fish and kayak and we plan to get back there often. Next time I think we'll try the Browns Bridge area. Anyone know if there's good parking there for a trailer?
    Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 07-03-2014, 08:45 PM. Reason: added videos
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
    With the high nineties temps and 15 mph winds forecast for Wednesday we decided to hit Rocky Gorge....Next time I think we'll try the Browns Bridge area. Anyone know if there's good parking there for a trailer?
    There's parking. If not in the main area where the ramp is; there's a larger gravel lot directly across the road that will accommodate trailers.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

At Browns Bridge I usually park my Wrangler and trailer on the Howard County side. There is a small gravel parking area and a pretty easy launch from the creek right there.

Comment

I love fishing Broad Creek. Unfortunately, I am boat-less at the moment I can only day dream of it. I will probably go there for my sea trials in the new boat and to catch the citation red breasted sunfish that I failed to document last year.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          At Browns Bridge I usually park my Wrangler and trailer on the Howard County side. There is a small gravel parking area and a pretty easy launch from the creek right there.
          It's really shallow on that side though, which is the only reason I haven't launched from there. There is always room for parking with or without trailers there though.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Heres a couple videos of the trips I just put together.

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the tips for Browns bridge.

How shallow are we talking up there? I'm in a pro angler so don't want to deal with to shallow.
                A lot of good lay downs up that way?
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice videos. Catching deer playing like that is pretty cool. I don't think I have ever had the opportunity in the woods to see it myself.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                    Thanks for the replies and the tips for Browns bridge.

How shallow are we talking up there? I'm in a pro angler so don't want to deal with to shallow.
                    A lot of good lay downs up that way?
                    You wouldn't be putting the drive in close to shore on that side. Not to mention the water is up in the trees over there.

Put in on the ramp side and you'll be fine. The channel runs along the same side as the ramp.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X