Pennyfield-Potomac-Frustration-and Jet Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennyfield-Potomac-Frustration-and Jet Boats

Hit the Potomac today. Paddled up to the bottom of the Breaks. Only caught one fish on the way up. It was on a spinner jig with a white curly tailed grub on it.

Beautiful scenery. Great weather. Some wind occasionally in my face as I paddled up river.

I fished along some small sand bars with gravel and grass. Caught a few tiny smallies. Also had some sunfish nipping at the tail of my grub.

I saw something flopping on the side of an island and this is what I found.

The sunfish was alive and flopping, so the snake must have just caught it. Don't quite see how the snake could eat that thing.

Anyone know what kind of snake that is?

I drank some water and started drifting back to the car. I switched over to a small tube and that was more productive. Had probably 8 or 9 smallies on the tube. The fish were mostly near wood or near chunky big rocks in the middle of the river.

The frustration was that I missed the 3 biggest smallies of the day. I even checked and sharpened the hook. I wasn't getting good hook sets and the bigger fish slurped up the tubes without big strikes. My line felt mushy, so I reeled in the slack and set the hook. But something was wrong. I even played the fish out slowly and all 3 came off as I got them close to the kayak. I'll get them next time I guess.

I saw a couple of baby jet-jon boats on the river and that was unexpected. I had heard that guys launched from the Muddy Branch/Pennyfield ramp, but couldn't imagine how they did it.
    On my paddle back I followed these guys up the creek. They had to push through some very shallow gravel bars and under some fallen trees. Look how shallow the water is on his truck's rear wheels.

Looks like a beautiful day on the river! Sorry about the lost smallies but that's fishing. Is it better to have hooked and lost than to never have hooked at all?

That is a brown water snake. Like most snakes they can unhinge their jaw to swallow their prey. That snake won't need to eat again for quite some time.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Beautiful scenery! I think you've got a Northern Water Snake eating dinner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_water_snake
      Mike
      Feelfree Lure 11.5
      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

I haven't been to the area of Seneca Breaks and Pennyfield for maybe 20 years. I forgot how fishy and enticing the Breaks look, tons of structure there. Up on the Susky at Harrisburg, rock structure like that is where all the smallies hang out.

I always wondered how a snake can even catch a sunfish that size, or even eat it for that matter. I mean he done got no arms or hands! Looks to me he has bitten off more than he can can swallow.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
        X