Clear All

Just looked this up. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DFfYYwymHA
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
      pretty much sums it up lol

Comment

instead of making a new thread i figure il just add to this one...

7/24 out of conowingo dam, slow start but ended up catching the best white perch ive found all year, the pic is of an average one, plenty were 10''+, probably caught 12-15

14.7.24SusquehannaWhitePerch.jpg

7/25 out of deer creek, one small striper, several dink smallies and one decent one

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

Comment

I've been meaning to drive down there (from Pa) and fish that location. Is there an advantage in launching at Deer Creek vice Lapidum (other than the launch fee)? Also is there a gauge that you use to determine if the river conditions are ok to launch? What are the acceptable ranges for launching and fishing? Do you also take out at Deer Creek or to take out somewhere downstream? Sorry to ask so many questions but I would love to fish that location but I've been a bit leary about driving over an hour only to find out that I've wasted my time. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.
          2012 Hobie Outback
          2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

Water level: USGS gauge at the dam. Info on the USGS Real time website.
            Summer low flow release will be around 9.5-10 feet, in the a.m.
            The usual day sees an increase in water release during the late morning to mid day period. You can get an idea checking the graph on the USGS site.
            There is a semi reliable hot line that gives you the approximate time of the release. The increase in flow makes some areas a bit more difficult.

Depending on rainfall, demand etc. it may go up to 15 feet or so.
            Anything over 15 feet, makes the dam area down to Deer Creek a bit dicey.

For example: there is an easily accessible car top ramp about 3/4 of a mile down from the dam, at Fisherman's Park.
            Because of the proximity of the dam, when the dam water releases, the level comes up very quickly to frightening velocity. This is the only place that I have ever rolled a canoe in 40 + years of boating. The time from when the sirens go off until the water flows is not adequate to get back to the ramp from the island.
            Conversely, if you are out there and the dam shuts down, you could be stranded in a sea of wet rocks.
            So I wouldn't recommend this, but some guys love this area.
            You could arrange a shuttle to put in here and takeout at Deer Creek, Rock Run, or Lapidum.

Deer Creek: It involves a rough carry to the river and there is a riffle where the creek hits the main stem. This area is much less affected by the water release. Very good fishing in the ledges above and below. It is possible to launch a little further upstream on DC but the parking is limited.

Rock Run Mill: there is decent parking and a medium carry down to the river. There is riffle just above this that goes from rocky outcrops to hidden under water depending on the flow. There are a series of islands, old bridge pilings, that have some very deep water near them. It's about a mile below DC.

Lapidum: very good parking and two boat ramps. Pay to park. Since you are car topping, I think that you do not have to pay full price. The water has a moderate current here under all but the most extreme conditions. I usually put in my motorized canoe here and power up towards Deer Creek. For about 3/4 of a mile upstream you are in a weedy area, then the rocky bottom begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganto View Post
              I've been meaning to drive down there (from Pa) and fish that location. Is there an advantage in launching at Deer Creek vice Lapidum (other than the launch fee)? Also is there a gauge that you use to determine if the river conditions are ok to launch? What are the acceptable ranges for launching and fishing? Do you also take out at Deer Creek or to take out somewhere downstream? Sorry to ask so many questions but I would love to fish that location but I've been a bit leary about driving over an hour only to find out that I've wasted my time. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.
              Deer Creek area is pretty shallow so it's tough if you have a pedal drive. Typically, Deer Creek is about as far north as I can get in my Hobie. Lapidum area is much deeper, typically 10-20' and tapering more shallow as you head north. There's a deeper channel to fish on your way north as well as plenty of islands, pools and rocks...plenty of smallies and stripers. It's also nice to start your day working your way upstream and then drifting downward...you could do that at deer creek as well. I've fished deer creek plenty for the shad run, but with all the gear that I load up, it would be hard to launch there. I'd have to go minimal for those waters which is no problem as long as you prepare for that. Lots of guys do it, even drifting from conowingo to deer creek.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

That's good info Big Nose. You hit the nail on the head about the water level. It can be frighteningly fast when that water starts rushing. As a result I'm always a little cautious there. I've gotten swept away pretty quickly but did manage to get back to the ramp, sprinting, making little ground. At least below deer creek the flow isn't as rough and you can just let it take you back home.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Thanks Big Nose and Yak Fish. I'm thinking that as the lake fishing in my area of Pa slows considerably due to high water temps, I may want to venture down to the lower Susqy and give it a try. Based on the posts, it appears prudent for me to start launching at Lapidum and maybe getting more adventuresome as I learn the water. If I decide to head down there, I'll post to the board and if possible some of the nearby Md members could join me.
                  2012 Hobie Outback
                  2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

i dont know where you are from in pa but i would be happy to show you some excellent smallie fishing in the susky in pa ,it may be closer for you. as long as you release your fish if you wanna do a shuttle trip let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by dpreller View Post
                      i dont know where you are from in pa but i would be happy to show you some excellent smallie fishing in the susky in pa ,it may be closer for you. as long as you release your fish if you wanna do a shuttle trip let me know.
                      I live in Exton, PA. What did you have in mind?
                      2012 Hobie Outback
                      2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

upper susky above harrisburg. lots of good fish ofcourse the river is on the rise as usual for this year after the freakin monsoons last night .but it should come down soon.

Comment

Sorry to butt in but I would love to get in on a susky float too! I'm not too far from you in Exton and I can take two yaks on my truck...
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by dpreller View Post
                            upper susky above harrisburg. lots of good fish ofcourse the river is on the rise as usual for this year after the freakin monsoons last night .but it should come down soon.
                            I am familiar with the Susqy above Harrisburg. I've fished out of Fort Hunter several times and also out of Riverfront Campground. How far north are you talking about?
                            2012 Hobie Outback
                            2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

Where exactly are you located, Romo?
                              2012 Hobie Outback
                              2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

I fish right in front of the campground sometimes.I'd love to have some guys to float and shuttle with.my buddies all think they need a 40k dollar bass boat in the bay to catch fish.if you guys wanna hook up let me know.I can pm you my number etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X