Black Hill (Little Seneca Lake) on Tuesday 07/22/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hill (Little Seneca Lake) on Tuesday 07/22/14

Got out on the water for a couple of hours after work on Tuesday. Here is a picture which I think should fully explain how it went.

She ate my favorite presentation during the warm water period (when the water gets up around 80 degrees or warmer) which is a big 10" ribbontail plastic worm. The bigger worm discourages the smaller bass and frequently seems to be just the ticket for the size largemouth bass I am most interested in (those that are 20" and larger). I anchored up on a major point in 20 feet of water and slowly crawled the worm along the bottom. This bass was almost directly underneath the kayak when she hit. On a heavily pressured lake like Little Seneca it pays to be deadly silent in your kayak.

I fish these big worms on 1/4 ounce and 3/8 ounce Confidence Baits Draggin' Heads as I find that jig head has a number of advantages.

1. the Draggin' Head is extremely snag proof, you can drag them through rocks and weeds without getting hung up or collecting vegetation
    2. no line twist, a big ribbontail worm fished on a traditional Texas Rig is gonna spin, years ago before I started using Draggin' Heads I would have to troll my line behind the kayak without a lure attached to untwist my line after a few hours of throwing the big worm
    3. the hook stays pointed up, Draggin' Heads don't tip over which helps avoid snags and also generally puts the hook point into the roof of the mouth of the bass (much better place to stick a bass), I have tried other swimbait weighted hooks but they have a tendency to tip to their side and expose the hook point to potential snags
    4. you have a much more direct contact with your presentation, there is a concept referred to as "weighing your jig" during the retrieve, any change in the weight that you feel through your rod could mean a bass has picked up your worm (with a plastic worm on a Texas Rig with a sliding bullet sinker you can feel the weight of the "sinker" but your worm might already have been taken by a bass without your feeling it)
    5. with the Draggin' Head acting like a keel to keep the body of the worm upright you get the full effect of the "thump" from the ribbontail
    6. this presentation has something of a horizontal swim to it on the descent after the cast, watch your line carefully as you may get popped during the initial drop of the worm
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

That fish is a hog! Nice work
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Nice one Dave.

And thanks for the details on your setup. I'm always trying new techniques and lures but I always seem to go back to what I have confidence in when I'm not catching.
      I saw Jeffs draggin heads before and thought about ordering some but never did. Just watched his video on them again and plan to order some.

Edit: I might be going out this weekend. Any thoughts on how this cold front coming through tonight might affect the bite this weekend?
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Hog alert!!!!

Nice job Dave. For some reason I can't catch a thing on ribbon tail worms and draggin heads

Comment

Congratulations on the big bass. Thanks for the detailed tackle description. Providing lure type, rigging, and how you work it is very helpful for other anglers. Too many internet board lurkers want exact locations, but with the type of info you provide, they can get out and do some field exploring to find their own lunkers.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice write-up Dave. I've been using the same setup with 4" Mister Twister curly tail grubs with good success. I may pick up some of these big 10" worms to see if I can cut out the bass under 12".

-Mike
            Mike
            Feelfree Lure 11.5
            Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
              I might be going out this weekend. Any thoughts on how this cold front coming through tonight might affect the bite this weekend?
              while it is pretty bright today (Friday), which might keep them deeper and inactive, I suspect by tomorrow things should be back to normal with a little cloud cover (plus we have the new moon thing going)

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              I may pick up some of these big 10" worms to see if I can cut out the bass under 12".
              yes, the big worms are not great for a numbers day but generally it cuts out largemouth bass under 14" (once I did have a 9" bass manage to get a 12" plastic worm into his mouth)
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

That's a great fish.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Nice Job Dave! Thats a Nice look Fish! Nice write up!!!
                  2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Nice write-up Dave. I've been using the same setup with 4" Mister Twister curly tail grubs with good success. I may pick up some of these big 10" worms to see if I can cut out the bass under 12".

-Mike
                    Yeah Mike that 10” ribbon tail worm will definitely help you find a big girl. That 21” I caught last week was the same set-up as Dave used and It was at a different lake
                    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Wow that's a fatty!
                      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                      Northern Pike: 24 inches
                      Crappie: 12 inches
                      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
                      X