Bowfin Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowfin Hunting

In my pursuit of snakeheads I found a series of creeks that are loaded with bowfin. I have caught them on meat but rarely get them on lures. I thought maybe things would change with the approaching cold front but yesterday was no different. Missed 5 savage topwater strikes on frogs and poppers but fell victim to the typical bowfin short strikes. Had the legs bit off some frogs and a couple knocked into the air but no hookups. The dink bass, however, were more than willing to play. Got about 20 in 3-4 hours exploring.

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Have you tried adding a trailer hook to catch those short strikers? Also, sharpen your hooks for more hookups.

Comment

That's a heck of a nice "dink".
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I call those 8"-12" bass that always bite dinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Yea anything below 3 lbs or so is a dink to me! Especially when its not the target species. My hooks are always sharp and I do have a couple spinnerbaits with trailer hooks but the fins never seem to bite those... Can't really put a stinger hook on a weedless frog so i'll just keep cursing them. Got a couple the other night chunking sunfish and my buddy managed a pretty nice pickerel on a chunk. Never seen that before. This was after a 5+ hour snakehead hunt on the yaks that didn't yield a bite.

Last edited by Romo; 08-23-2014, 04:18 PM.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
          X