Slow Day on the Upper Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Day on the Upper Potomac

I finally got a chance to slip out and fish the Taylor's Landing area today.
    It was rather slow, but it's still one of the prettiest sections of the river. Sometimes the fish is the least important part.
    And I just wasn't fishing well today, a little unfocused and just drifting along.
    In 3 hours, I only hooked up with 5-6 Smallies, on a small Pop-R and a Bomber Fat A.
    The water was slightly stained, with about 2 feet of visibility and at normal August levels, after being high most of the summer.
    I fished during the bright mid day period, so the fish were hunkered down in the deeper holes.
    The damsel flies were out and I'm sure that if I had stayed into the early evening, I would have seen a little better fishing.

But it was nice to get out in flowing water, not tidal water.

Yea I've been doing decent using damsel imitation flys in slack water with the fly rod. We went to dam 4 the other day looking for walleyes and got nothing but big bluegills and a few sm
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I live right around the corner from there if you want company, but I can't go mid day, I have to work.

I also love the Fat A and work it like a deadstick to start. Most fish nail it like its a popper. Fishing has just been off up here all year and I don't know why. Less hits and lots of small fish.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Yea I've noticed that too (small fish comment). Most years I'll manage 4-5 citation small mouth out of the usual holes in the shenandoah and potomac. This year I haven't caught anything bigger than 18 inches. Mostly just small punk bass.
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

As I was packing up, I spoke with a couple of guys who were fishing from a Jon boat. They started just below Dam 4 in the early a.m and they caught about 40 fish, all smallish.
          They were using a curled tail jig on what looked like 3/16-1/4 oz. round jig head as their go-to lure.

Unfortunately, I am assisting as a volunteer High School Football Coach and our season begins Wednesday, so my fishing time in the next couple of weeks gets pretty squeezed. At best, I can either hit some of the local Columbia and nearby farm ponds or just maybe a quick trip to Weems.

Comment

Me and Ted hit the river last night at Taylor's before 7pm and went up to just below Shepards Island. I got one smack and one hooked fish for 3 seconds on the Fat A at dusk. I could hear a fish feeding and that is when I got the one smack. After dark I got one dink catfish to attack the Fat A and that was it. I was hoping for walleye and did not even catch a bass. Fishing was beyond slow!
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
            X