Seneca Breaks with Runnin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seneca Breaks with Runnin

Runnin (Gary) and I went fishing at Seneca Breaks this morning. Fished from around 6:30AM until about 11:30AM.
    Here's some photos. We both caught plenty of fish. All of mine came on the Rebel Pop-R.

beautiful area, thanks for the pics!
    sigpic

Comment

Nice pics Tom! Had a great time. Plenty of action. Nice numbers day. I think I caught around 20 or so including sunfish. The size was low. Lots of smaller fish. Tom had biggest. My biggest probably was 12. I didn't measure. I lost something quite big that I hooked on the curly grub /spinner when if ran over a rocky ledge and broke my line off on the rocks. Could have been a catfish. It was heavy and strong.

Tom was a master at that Pop R. I couldn't buy a bite on my Pop -R.

My hands down best lure of day was Curly grub on a spinner. I caught fish on two sizes of that bait, I really small 1" version, and a bigger 2' version. I also caught fish on Buzzer, Paca craw, Wacky senko, and small white fluke. The fish really seemed to be all charged up. They wanted to chase things. Crawling things an bottom gave very few results for me. Even hits in senko came when I was cranking bait in. I caught a good many fish just burning that curly grub in, especially over riffles.

Nice pretty morning. Was on;y 53 degree at start time. Water was still low after last weeks rains. The water above the breaks had a really good stain with only about foot of viz. Ws quite clear by the tie we got to the take out.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Yes, I had a great time Gary. The fish were small, but plentiful. Catching fish is fun and the weather and river were so beautiful.
        That Pop-R has been a fun lure this year for me on the Upper Potomac and I even caught some smallies at Prettyboy Reservoir with it too.
        The hooks that came on it were pretty small and looked frail, so I switched on a pair of the largest hooks I had. The result with the heavier hooks is that the Pop-R now sinks very slowly. So when I do a pretty steady pop, pop, pop with it, the lure is skimming below and right at the top of the water. When I pause it slowly sinks. Only had a couple of fish come off on their way back to the kayak.

Nature observations from yesterday.

1. There was quite a large flock of birds eating some sort of insect hatch. The insects were brown and not real big. The birds were small and dark and flew real fast and close to the river. Fun to see all the bird activity. My best fish activity was in areas of the birds and insect hatch.
        2. I saw minnows in the calmer spots of the river, but they were still very small. I thought the minnows would be larger by now.
        3. Not much grass in the river at all in the section we fished. I guess all the flooding and high water this year knocked it out.
        4. Water on the Virginia side of the river was much clearer than on the Maryland side of the river.
        Last edited by DanMarino; 08-17-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Great report and pictures. Dan, I just love your nature observations. Thanks all.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Good job guys
            Viking - Profish Reload Z
            Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Great pics and looks like a very nice area to fish.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X