What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

I have a question for all you snakehead fishermen out there. Once you "land" your fish and it is in the yak, what is your preferred method of submission?
    I landed another snakehead today and once it was in the yak it spit out the lure and successfully made its way back to the water without my permission. I thought about stabbing it in the head with my filet knife, but in a yak with all that slime I know I would just end up stabbing myself. Plus, they have a head of armor that I am pretty sure would deflect such a thin blade. I bought a "nite-nite" stick on my way home to subdue (aka thwack) future aquatic beasties and think this might be the easiest method, but was wondering what others use for submission techniques when they catch their snakeheads.
    Dave N.
    Wilderness Systems Radar 115
    - Solar

Why don't you just let it go dude
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I have a sturdy knife and I go for the top of the fish right where the spinal cord meets the skull (stab, then cut across to sever the spinal cord). I have had a couple shoot up the footwells like slime rockets to freedom (and I have started catch and release with them as well).
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
        Why don't you just let it go dude
        I do release most of the ones I catch. Occasionally, it is nice to bring one or two home to eat.
        Dave N.
        Wilderness Systems Radar 115
        - Solar

Comment

I usually net it, grab it under its gills plate. It will struggle, just make sure you have a good grip and it won't go anywhere. The gills can be a little sharp but its not that bad

Comment

I was under the impression that you had to kill any snakehead that was caught in Maryland waters. Is this not the case? I thought it was prohibited to return them to the water. It should be noted that I have never caught a snakehead and am only going on what I have heard.
            Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
            Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
              I was under the impression that you had to kill any snakehead that was caught in Maryland waters. Is this not the case? I thought it was prohibited to return them to the water. It should be noted that I have never caught a snakehead and am only going on what I have heard.
              No you have to release all of them and make sure you point it toward VA side when you release them!!

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                You are not required to kill them anymore. If you keep one (in a livewell, or on a stringer) you are required to kill it (DNR does not anyone transporting a live snakehead for obvious reasons).
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

My first and only snakehead was the most docile creature when I unhooked the fish and removed it from my net. The snakehead surely did not live up to it's reputation. Out of nowhere, the fish went spastic! Slipping out of my hands it headed straight for the bow and was ready to return to the water. The next thing I see is a mini Louisville Slugger giving the snakehead a beat down...Yakkinfish18 to the rescue!! Those snaggedliners will always have your back.

I was able to gut the fish over the side of the kayak before the snakehead awoke for another round. Will definitely be bring a mini bat to my next snakehead adventure...it was also nice not having any blood in the kayak.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

The only one I caught was not all that wild. I cut the gills and put it in my cooler bungeed shut. Though it was still alive when I got it home and went to clean it 6 hours later... guess that doesn't kill them
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                      My first and only snakehead was the most docile creature when I unhooked the fish and removed it from my net. The snakehead surely did not live up to it's reputation. Out of nowhere, the fish went spastic! Slipping out of my hands it headed straight for the bow and was ready to return to the water. The next thing I see is a mini Louisville Slugger giving the snakehead a beat down...Yakkinfish18 to the rescue!! Those snaggedliners will always have your back.

I was able to gut the fish over the side of the kayak before the snakehead awoke for another round. Will definitely be bring a mini bat to my next snakehead adventure...it was also nice not having any blood in the kayak.
                      Bring a stringer with you, cut the gills then let it hang outside the kayak for 5-10 mins. That will solve it .

Don't ever assume your SH is done fighting, that's an easy way to lose your fish.

Comment

I whack the sh w/ a hammer or a small bat. I pull out the gill plates, then just leave it lying up in the storage bow or stern of my Wavewalk. Sometimes it will go spastic ons last time but it cant get out of me kayak. I've also just released them from where it was caught too.

Comment

To subdue:
                          1) use a net to get the fish in yer' boat
                          2) while still in the net-clip the fish through the lower lip onto your stringer
                          3) remove lure/ unhook
                          4) beat it over the head with your bat
                          5) cut gills or sever spine

Or...just let it go so it can get bigger!
                          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't know the legality, but if I was targeting SH I would use a hawaiian spear gaff. Brain shot would end it, but even a miss would steady the thing for a kill shot with a bat or knife.

Comment

What would you do?

I've yet to catch a snakehead but in Delaware you are required to kill them and then report the catch in DE.

There are supposed to be some in a couple locations in DE. I went fishing in a pond that is supposed to have them specifically hoping to catch one. I caught a couple bass and 2 big pickerel. I then had a fish bite through my line. I would like to think it was a snakehead but it was probably another pickerel in reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                              2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                              2015 Coosa HD
                              2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                              2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Working...
                              X