My First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First

I did a snakehead guide trip with Damien Cook yesterday ( lowlandoutfitters.com ) late afternoon/evening in the Little Blackwater River. We launched abt 2:30 into the river and headed towards some grassy shorelines. I was throwing a white chatterbait to the shoreline. After a couple of hours we switched to a smaller green version which produced my first snakehead. It weighted 4.5 lbs which produced a healthy amount of filets.
    Photo May 15 2023, 3 03 23 PM.jpg Photo May 15 2023, 5 44 51 PM.jpg Photo May 15 2023, 8 44 14 PM.jpg

Had a great time with Damien. He worked hard trying to find fish, they simply were not that hungry-maybe still in spawn period. I am looking forward to have some snakehead for dinner soon.
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Congrats on your first snakehead John. They are super fun to catch but getting them to bite can be a real challenge sometimes (more often than not, actually). It's like they forgot to read all of the media frenzy describing them as voracious monsters that eat anything and everything . May is historically one of my worst months targeting snakehead. A majority of them are spawning and not interested in feeding, and the carp are usually spawning too which causes a huge disruption in the shallows and shuts down any would-be bite.

The Little Blackwater is a beautiful place to fish, one of my favorites on the Eastern Shore.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Definitely agree about the Little Blackwater, first time there.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Outstanding John.

They are moody devils that can ignore the best of our lure and fly presentations.

Even when they grace us with a bite, they are still hard to hook.

Congrats.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X