Blackwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwater

This was from about two weeks ago. I started chasing snakes in Blackwater last year and now it is my favorite fishing. I’ve pretty much quit fishing for rockfish now except for catch and release. Snakeheads are an awesome fish to eat. I will probably head down in the next two weeks and see if I can catch a few on the fly.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Nice fish, that top one is huge. Snakehead definitely keep you on your toes... Blackwater gets tons of fishing pressure these days and the snakehead are very finnicky as a result (actually, I think they're finnicky anyway). Some days you can see them and hear them all around and get no bites, other days you can catch upwards of half a dozen or more. All of these factors combine to make it very exciting and rewarding to catch one.

I make the long drive down there a handful of times a year and usually get at least 1 or 2 fish per trip, sometimes more sometimes less. I typically skip this time of year though (late spring/early summer) because the carp spawning disturbs the shallows and shuts down the snakeheads, then shortly after that the snakeheads start spawning themselves. I'll usually start heading back down there in July.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

What types of flies are you using?
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Enjoy the snakehead for me! I’ve been told there aren’t any on Allegany or Garrett Counties.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
          What types of flies are you using?
          I usually fish for them with rabbit streamers. I've been selling them on FB Marketplace and to local shops. If you are interested I can do custom colors

IMG_3592 2.jpgIMG_4442.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X