First snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First snakehead

I have been going out multiple times a week at my local spot catching a ton of strippers for two hours then getting in to beat the heat. Today I launched around 7 and there were 5 other kayakers in the normal areas that produce and I decided to get in on some different action. I knew it was going to be a great morning, I could feel the beautiful day just rolling over me. Two bald eagles flew over as I trolled over to a little hide away cove just big enough for a kayak to fit into. I got no hits and went for a bait change. I loaded up a frog and paddled through the reeds. It's a foot deep and I wasn't sure if the tide was too low but as I got in I realized it was a whole different ecosystem. A hole with thick hydrilla and reeds. Since it was so shallow where I decided this was going to be the first stand and cast trial on my crew. I got stable easy, gave it a good wobble test and got myself lined up for my first cast down the reeds. Splash, "nice cast" I think to myself. Holy crap something swirled almost instantly. Twitch and then he just took it. I've seen it a thousand times so I waited, the line started moving. I swing and it's on. It was a great fight and he soaked me as he got close with crazy tail thrashes. I got him to the yak and it was almost impossible to get the lip grippers in. After several minutes and the braid trying to take my finger off I was able to get him on the grippers. I got him measured at 21.5" and this was my first snakehead. This was also my first frog fish, first standing fish as well. So overall as you can tell I was thrilled this morning with just one catch. I learned a lot and had a great time. It was a beautiful day and I'm just so thankful for being able to enjoy kayaking and nature. Thank you everyone for reading this and have a great summer and be safe on the water!!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Congrats, that looks like a really good spot to fish for them. I'm sure you'll find more.

I always recommend using a net when fishing for snakeheads. They will clamp their jaws shut and make it hard for you to get grippers on them, and it's even harder trying to do that while they're thrashing in the water next to you. With a net you can just scoop them up when you get them close then pry their jaws open once you have them under a little more control inside the kayak.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats!
      Any pics of the strippers?
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

Nice snakehead. None out here in western MD, But I caught some back a while at Mallows Bay.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
          Congrats!
          Any pics of the strippers?
          images.png

Comment

Congratulations and nice story
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Looks awesome!! and catching your first snakehead and frog fish must have been incredible. thx for sharing

Comment

Absolutely, using a net when fishing for snakeheads is a smart move. These fish can be quite challenging to handle due to their strong jaws and thrashing movements. Trying to grip them directly can be risky and harm the fish or yourself. A net allows for a safer and more controlled capture, minimizing harm to both you and the snakehead. Once you have them in the net, you can handle them more easily and carefully, ensuring a successful catch and release if needed. It's a practical and responsible approach to fishing for snakeheads.

Comment

Working...
                X