Need help where to go [emoji12]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help where to go [emoji12]

Just picked up a fully rigged PA 14 on a trailer and need some help getting started fishing from a kayak. Long time surf fisher. Just really where to go. I live in Cecil county and it will take me about the same time to get to Perryville or the Bohemian.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Hobie ivory tandem

What would you like to catch? That's the determining factor.

One piece of general advice is to choose a small creek off of a tributary on a day with low wind for your first few outings.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I’ve fished some on kayak in OC. Had a tandem Hobie not too conducive for fishing.

Strippers and anything else productive. Perch, etc.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

I did really well at the Chesapeake Bay bridge live lining Spot on the bridge pilings. I was there at sunup. There was a lot of boat traffic, the water was choppy and moving. I was a little unnerved by all the activity. Maybe not an ideal place for a first try and I see it is a long trip for you. Oh, plenty of White Perch there in the morning closer to shore on the pilings.

Thanks
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
          I did really well at the Chesapeake Bay bridge live lining Spot on the bridge pilings. I was there at sunup. There was a lot of boat traffic, the water was choppy and moving. I was a little unnerved by all the activity. Maybe not an ideal place for a first try and I see it is a long trip for you. Oh, plenty of White Perch there in the morning closer to shore on the pilings.

Thanks
          Eric
          Thanks I was there last weekend on a boat and we limited out quickly. Wish it was closer.

I can make anyplace in Cecil in less than half hour, the bridge another hour.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

There was a M&G last year at Perryville Community Park, and on the East you've got Elk Neck State Park & River.

I've never fished that far north, best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              There was a M&G last year at Perryville Community Park, and on the East you've got Elk Neck State Park & River.

I've never fished that far north, best of luck.
              I’m just wanting to speed up the learning curve. Perryville Community park has great access but where do you go once on the water.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Originally posted by Gravedigger View Post
                I’m just wanting to speed up the learning curve. Perryville Community park has great access but where do you go once on the water.
                Right outside of the launch several places to the left and across on Miller creek & Furnace bay.... There's a deep channel that runs on the bayside of stump point to the VA Hospital, then from Stump point towards Carpenter Point, across Stump point on the flats

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                  Right outside of the launch several places to the left and across on Miller creek & Furnace bay.... There's a deep channel that runs on the bayside of stump point to the VA Hospital, then from Stump point towards Carpenter Point, across Stump point on the flats
                  What would you try first, deep channel or Furnace bay ? What is there though August?
                  Last edited by Gravedigger; 07-26-2019, 07:53 AM.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Going out tomorrow morning. Launching from Perryville Community park

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Originally posted by Gravedigger View Post
                      It's summer time so if launching at the Perryville park you can go left and fish the shoreline or grass in Furnace Bay, or if you go right you can cross the channel, which is a lot like playing frogger with summer boat traffic, and head out onto the flats. It gets shallow so boats stay away. It's covered in grass now which is good for bass fishing. Throwing top water frogs will produce. I was out there Saturday and had 7 top water blowups throughout the day. Another good area is north east creek via launching at the north east town park.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                      Jayce
                      2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                      2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Originally posted by ReelLucky22 View Post
                        It's summer time so if launching at the Perryville park you can go left and fish the shoreline or grass in Furnace Bay, or if you go right you can cross the channel, which is a lot like playing frogger with summer boat traffic, and head out onto the flats. It gets shallow so boats stay away. It's covered in grass now which is good for bass fishing. Throwing top water frogs will produce. I was out there Saturday and had 7 top water blowups throughout the day. Another good area is north east creek via launching at the north east town park.

Where would you go through August?

In two weeks I’m headed to OC MD around 120th street bay side.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

If I'm targeting largemouth through August, any of the previously mentioned locations will work. Other locations nearby include tydings marina in havre de grace, mariner point park in joppa, octoraro reservoir just over the line in PA, just to name a few. If you're going to kayak fish in OC the only place I can recommend is the route 90 bridge pilings using top/bottom rigs with fish bites artificial baits on them, or jigging bucktails with gulp minnows on them for flounder.

Jayce
                          2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                          2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Originally posted by ReelLucky22 View Post
                            If I'm targeting largemouth through August, any of the previously mentioned locations will work. Other locations nearby include tydings marina in havre de grace, mariner point park in joppa, octoraro reservoir just over the line in PA, just to name a few. If you're going to kayak fish in OC the only place I can recommend is the route 90 bridge pilings using top/bottom rigs with fish bites artificial baits on them, or jigging bucktails with gulp minnows on them for flounder.

Thanks for the OC information.

Hobie ivory tandem

Comment

Working...
                            X