Looking to go out. Never been on the bay.just got a new outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to go out. Never been on the bay.just got a new outback

Really want to learn how to fish the bay. Any Takers/Teachers willing to show me the way to go on the bay. Thanks you

It's a tough time with striper season the way it is right now. White perch are way up the rivers and specs/reds are fairly hard to come by in MD so people are tight lipped about that. If you want to go catfish fishing or something like that I'm sure people will be more willing to take you out.

Otherwise, wait till the striper season opens up (even C&R is closed right now which is absurd) and I'd be happy to show you some bay fishing.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

DTR69,

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to go on few test runs in tributaries before heading to the Bay proper.

You don't mention where you're from. But Anne Arundel county has launch sites into each of its major rivers -- West, Rhode, South, Severn, Magothy and Patapsco.

https://www.aacounty.org/services-an...op-boat-launch

That said, Meet and Greets have fallen by the wayside here. Perhaps when this health crisis ends, we could revive the concept with a back-to-the-water celebration at Jonas Green where parking is ample, social distancing is possible and access to the water is relatively easy. Short of that, I'd be glad to meet you there when it's safe to do so and striper catches are allowed.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the response. i have been out quite a few times already. I've been to solomans island. Piney point and bushwood wharf. Just tired of catching catfish is all. I'm from southern maryland

Comment

What is C&R? Have you been able to get out. I've been out a few times this week and last week. Been to solomans island mattawoman creek in southern maryland. Tired of the catfish

Comment

C&R = Catch and Release
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

There are several of us in St Mary’s. Things are quite right now until May 1 when we can fish for stripers, of course the county has closed the ramps and who knows when they’ll reopen them. Sounds like you’re using a couple so perhaps enforcement not high. It’s still too early for specks and red drum in our waters, and this cold spell will delay them further. We start to see them in catchable numbers early June. Perch should be shallow in a couple weeks.

I’m retired and fish a lot (on the mend right now from what I thought was a hairline kneecap fracture, turned out to be partial meniscus tear) and anxious to get out when I physically can. Generally prefer workdays to avoid the crowds but more than happy to fish with you when I’m able. Send an message to me with your info and hopefully we can meet up.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I am thinking that the shutdown has had a positive effect on spawning fish and that will include many species other than just striped bass. If the small croaker we saw last year return as adults, you may have a resurgent fishery from the Susquehanna Flats to Cape Henry. Down south we saw a good number of undersized speckled trout and flounder last summer and fall. That means bottom fishing With basic double bottom rigs with natural bait may be returning and your learning curve will be much compressed if that turns out to be the case. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn a finesse lure fishery watching your mentor catching fish after fish while you get nothing. Same lure, fishing side by side in the same waters-Looks like you are doing exactly the same thing but You do not get hit. Speckled Trout and Redfish are that way...like others have said blue catfish are abundant, easy to fish for and make a good table fish...Maryland outlawed catch and release during the month of April as well as targeting Striped Bass. May 1st begins the fishery, but with the Governor’s shelter in place order and the notorious fickle and ever changing wind Forecast...and the wild severe weather of May...just hard to make plans with all the uncertainty. Best advice is be flexible and let others know of your availability- folks are always looking for partners
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'd be happy to take you out and show you the ropes. Shoot me a message. Where do you live?
                  Native Titan Propel 12
                  Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                  Mercury 6hp
                  Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                  Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I live in Indian head Md.

Comment

DTR69, did you ever get anyone to take you out? I just moved from the Midwest into Anapolis. I have an older model (through 2016) Outback and want to learn how to fish. Happy to link up sometime and see if we can't figure some stuff out.

Comment

2016 is a classic Outback...very seaworthy...most of us PM to setup trips...where you live...that pretty much dictates your first few trips...us guys down south are a good 2 -2.5 hour drive...
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-24-2020, 12:19 PM.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                        X