Weekend of the CNR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend of the CNR

Broke my $200 rod on a Cow Nosed Ray. Another Ray pulled my friends rod out of the rod holder into the bay. My other friend lost two rods surf fishing when his lines got tangled with at least one Ray. CNR 3 - humans 0! Anyone else lose to a Ray this Spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After laughing at Big Mike as the CNR whisperer last season, Karma is a Mutha. I can't get away from those jokers already. My last three outings I have had encounters losing lures and jig heads.

I don't mind the straight up attack, but these jokers have gone stealth on me and I never see it coming! On the bottom or it the water column, they are wearing me out.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

If you fish in June and July in our region, Cow Nose Rays are a fact of life. They swarm the shallows spawning in large numbers. Being thick, powerful and easily snagged by swimming through your lines, the prudent thing to do is to clamp your hand over the spool, point the rod directly at the ray and pop it off. If you try to fight the ray on the rod, you risk breaking an expensive rod on a worthless pest. “High sticking” any rod can result in breaking the rod. I tie 10# Trielene mono on as a leader during CNR season specifically to have the leader break instead of the braid and do not use expensive Rapala XRap hard lures Until the rays have moved out of the bay. I always play fish on a light drag, so I don’t have any worry a ray will pull a rod out of the rod holder. Might scream the drag but the rod won’t be lost.
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-21-2020, 08:21 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X