Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Learnin' to Fish!

Hey, everyone!

New to the forum and new to fishing. I have a Hobie Outback and just started to fish - never really did this much growing up. My wife and I just moved here from the Midwest. The guys here in Annapolis have been great with getting me started. I caught a few white perch, croaker, and eel (those suck) off the dock.

Looking for anyone interested in going out in the area sometime. I've heard Tolly Point is a great place for striper. I tried going out there once but didn't have any luck (guess that's why they call this "fishin" and not "catchin").

Anyone in the area interested in helpin' out a newb?

We are in Calvert and go out about once a week. We are not super seasoned or serious, just out chasing what ever is biting.

I typ post in the main forum a day or 2 before we go out.

This board really needs a "hook-up" sub forum.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Mflint1513,

Welcome to the forum.

Since you're new to the area, and Annapolis, I suggest you check this link that provides a list of tidal water sites where you can launch your Outback in Anne Arundel County:

https://www.aacounty.org/services-an...op-boat-launch

You might also say what kind of fishing you wish to learn. Techniques of members on this on forum range from those who like to troll lures, those who cast lures, those who fly fish, and those who use bait. Some are skilled at multiple techniques. Some prefer freshwater, some tidal and some fish both. There's more than one way to catch fish and multiple species to pursue locally. The good news is that your kayak will allow you the flexibility to fish for our main target species in a variety of ways. And you'll have many locations to choose from.

Again, welcome to the area and to the forum.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks, Mark!

I think I'm interested in striper and bluefish for now. Maybe catfish and then perch when the others aren't in season.

I have a place to launch the kayak (Lake Ogleton) but understand there are probably better places to go.

Comment

I think your chances of blues are diminishing each day. They head south from our area as the water cools. They'll return next summer.

However, stripers are coming to the shallows to fatten up for the winter as has been discussed on multiple threads here.

I've never fished your tidal lake but given its location I would explore its cuts and coves and the area where it enters the Bay.

Just north of you, the Severn and its creeks should be seeing an influx of stripers. Jonas and Anne Catharine Green Park at the base of the USNA Bridge offers a good launch site.

Perhaps the simplest way to find them is to troll or cast a 3 to 4 inch paddletail on a jighead. Fish shoreline edges and points at the mouths of the creeks during a tidal flow -- especially in areas where water flow is constricted by structure at like the mouth of your lake. Cast under docks and parallel to riprap. If stripers are present, they'll find your lure and you'll be surprised how easy they are to catch.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X