Trident 13 Transducer Scupper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident 13 Transducer Scupper

Will the scupper on the Trident 13 take a lowrance transducer without modification? Also, what about a humminbird transducer?

I only ask because humminbird sells an Ocean Kayak specific scupper kit:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ransducer.html

But I am wondering if that would be necessary.

I saw on youtube that you can fit lowrance traducer with a simple mod. If you go with hummingbird, make sure you can swap the transducer for free. I remember someone post it that hummingbird charge $80 to swap the transducer. I personally would go with lowrance, I hear many good things.

Comment

I recently purchased an Elite 5 HDI with the 82/200 transducer. Transducer too wide for scupper mount so I mounted it to the back of the yak.2014 08 gps install 14.jpg Only been out once and did not experience any issues. Just have to be aware of the transducer when dragging the yak.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Opps forgot the other photo. 2014 08 gps install 12.jpg
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'm too forgetful haha. I always did the thru-hull install with the humminbird kayak kit. Makes it super easy to do and very reliable. But with the scupper on that Trident, I wasn't sure if that would be necessary. I don't have a Trident, but planning on getting a longer/faster kayak soon and just checking them out.

Comment

Ocean Kayak Transducer Scupper Mount - Pros & Cons

Pros
            • The scupper mounted transducer that Humminbird makes fits the spot very well if mounted backwards. I made a plastic washer for mine from an old cutting board making it easier for the scupper to still drain.
            • Better accuracy than through-hull.
            • Accurate temperature readings.
            • Secure. Doesn't get knocked around.

Cons
            • Humminbird doesn't like to do the free swap anymore. However, that's not relevant if you buy the one from ACK that you linked in the first post. ACK is including the scupper mount transducer.
            • You can no longer plug that scupper.
            • Requires an extra hole. If you mount yours as a thru-hule, then you're already inside the kayak where the battery is located. If you do the scupper mount, you need a hole for the transducer cable to enter the hull (where you will store all that extra cable). And then you need the hole where the transducer cable and the power cable will come out of the hull and lead to your FF.

You can see my install here.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks buzz. Your install looks really good.

I just recently realized the Torque and the Trident have almost the same hull.

Comment

Working...
              X