Torqeedo Evolve error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torqeedo Evolve error code

Yesterday at the CBKA I had an Evovle hiccup. While trolling I accidentally snagged a bridge support with a plug. I bumped the throttle to perform a quick 180 to get back to the scene of the crime. I was near the shipping channel and boat traffic was increasing so I wanted to quickly resolve the problem. Unfortunately, I was trolling more than one line.

After completing the 180 I realized that wasn't the greatest idea with multiple lines in the water, after about 50 feet of motoring, an error code popped up on my throttle screen. I knew what happened, my worst fear...braid in the prop$$$. I heard the horror stories of sending the motor away for repairs. All I thought of was destroying my chances of the fall striper season.

While beaching the kayak I saw leader material around the prop bearings, easy fix and back to fishing without motoring to be cautious. I decided to remove the prop this morning and found about 80 feet of braid wrapped around the bearings and melted to the housing. So I carefully dissected the braid and hopefully everything is okay. The motor sounds good and the prop spins true, time will tell. Just wanted to share my fishing foul and hopefully this will help the next victim.

Last edited by sparky1423; 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Not good but as long as you didn't have to pull it out from the seal you sound be good.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Dang! Hope it didn't get any damage. Is that pin (second from bottom picture) supposed to be that shape? Looks a little bent, but I suspect (maybe) that is a sacrificial cog keeps the prop from spinning on the shaft.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Dang! Hope it didn't get any damage. Is that pin (second from bottom picture) supposed to be that shape? Looks a little bent, but I suspect (maybe) that is a sacrificial cog keeps the prop from spinning on the shaft.
        I originally tried to pull the pin out with pliers, not realizing how soft the metal was. I was about to remove the motor and place it on a vice and really take my time. But the pin just helps seat the prop, no harm done. I will replace eventually for piece of mind and job well done
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          I originally tried to pull the pin out with pliers, not realizing how soft the metal was. I was about to remove the motor and place it on a vice and really take my time. But the pin just helps seat the prop, no harm done. I will replace eventually for piece of mind and job well done
          If it's that soft, it would lead me to believe, even more, that it is meant to fail...to prevent damage to the shaft/prop/motor.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Ooof, same thing happened to me when I first got mine, but the line got inside and it was someone else's that they carelessly discarded...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Ooof, same thing happened to me when I first got mine, but the line got inside and it was someone else's that they carelessly discarded...
              That's a good point. It could happen through no fault of our own.

This happened to me on my second trip on the Torqeedo. I'd accidentally bumped my throttle and only got a little line in there. No error codes. I just went to shore and pulled about 10 yards of line from it, and there were no ill effects.

Good luck sparky. Let us know how it works out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Yikes bro! Hopefully the work you did will remedy the issue without further incident... Now I understand your comment at the tournament
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Sparky -

Sorry you had a prop issue. I hope your repairs have solved the problem.

I too had a prop issue yesterday. After pedaling my Slayer Propel steadily for 4 hours trolling 4 lines in various areas south of the Kent Narrows, I had caught 20 small stripers and one 19.75" striper. I hoped to keep at it another 2-3 hours to find some bigger fish. I trolled across the mouth of a small indentation on a grassy shoreline. The water level was high, and I did not see that I was moving over top of a wall made of vertical wooden planks. The top of the wood was 4-6" below the water surface.

013.jpg

I heard a loud thunk, the Propel unit jumped up a few inches, then settled back into place. After clearing a snagged lure, I began pedaling again -- but things did not feel right. There was very little forward propulsion. When I lifted the Propel up, I found that one of the two blades of the prop was gone (sheared off).

014.jpg 001.jpg

I was nearly 2 miles from my launch point. Fortunately the Slayer Propel paddles very well. Instead of taking the direct route back to the launch, I used the paddle to put in another two hours of trolling. The fish did not cooperate -- I caught just one additional fish (not large).

The plastic prop is easily and inexpensively replaced. This is not a common event -- it never happened to me before nor had I heard of others having it break. I think when the Propel jumped up, the moving blade banged into the underside of the hull hard enough to cause the damage. The shear pin was still intact.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow, John, you really did a number on that prop!
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Inexpensive part?, might be worth it to get two and fasten one inside the yak somewhere for the next time.....Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                        Inexpensive part?, might be worth it to get two and fasten one inside the yak somewhere for the next time.....Jack
                        I agree. I ordered two new props this evening.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          I agree. I ordered two new props this evening.
                          Have you heard of them failing/breaking? The Propel props, that is.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                            Have you heard of them failing/breaking? The Propel props, that is.
                            This type of breakage is extremely rare -- I had not heard of it before. The Propel unit, like the Mirage drive, is a complex mechanical device. They work well almost all of the time but occasionally some component is damaged by operator error or lack of preventive maintenance (e.g., just last week one of my fishing buddies pedaled a Hobie over a submerged oyster pile and bent rods on his Mirage drive). I take responsibility for driving over a submerged object on Saturday. I have done that many times before (bumping over submerged logs), but have never broken a prop. For some reason, my accident on Saturday was severe enough to cause breakage. I hope I learn something from that experience.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Yikes! Glad you two made it back safely. Is there a guard to put on the motor or prop to prevent this happening?

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X