Fish finder info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder info

Would like info on a fish finder for a 12ft kayak. Some questions-type of power? How do transducers work?
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Welcome to the site. Not to stub the question but if you search this forum you will find answers to all the questions you have. the upper right hand corner of this site has a search area next to a symbol of a magnifying glass.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
      Would like info on a fish finder for a 12ft kayak. Some questions-type of power? How do transducers work?
      I saw your other post that you have a wooden kayak? If so, you'll probably want to get a transducer deployment arm, unless you plan to mount it to the stern. You will (most likely) need to have the transducer in the water, since I don't think you can "shoot through" wood.

Here's a link that explains how transducers work:

http://airmartechnology.com/uploads/...k_intro_lr.pdf
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks Cowpokey,
        That's what I thought. Just want to see the various FF, and mounts at the greet. See you there.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
          Thanks Cowpokey,
          That's what I thought. Just want to see the various FF, and mounts at the greet. See you there.
          I have a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI, welcome to take a peak at it but my transducer is in a pocket on the bottom of my Hobie. If you want to see lots of FF turned on in one place BPS has most current models running in demo mode.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I also have the Lowrance Elite-4 HDI. Great unit. Highly recommended.

With a wooden kayak, I would go with the arm style. As cowpokey suspected, shoot-thru wood won't turn out well if it turns out at all.

If you are careful with loading/unloading, stern mounted is probably the cleanest install.

Comment

I got a cheap Humminbird black and white unit from Craigslist for $20. It is a dual beam unit and works ok. Fish show up, underwater structure shows up. Underwater plants/weeds show up. It shows the bottom contour. It works ok and since it is black and white, the battery drain is very small.

I could see eventually upgrading to a unit with side scan or down imaging sonar and also with a GPS chart plotter. But my basic unit gets the job done ok. Easily 1/2 of the fishing I do is on rivers where I don't use a sonar unit. If I was fishing the bay or it's tributaries, or solely fishing lakes/reservoirs, a sonar unit is very, very helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X