Fall fishing and dry feet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall fishing and dry feet question

I have been hunting around the archives here and reading up on the clothing and equipment needed for safe cold weather fishing. Dry suits, waders, all that stuff. While I think I have a handle on that, I have some questions about this time of year/spring.

What I am looking for now is a way to just keep my feet dry for the next few weeks while it is still semi-warm out. I usually launch from places where I have to wade in and in any case I am close enough to the weight limit of my yak that there is always 1-2" of water in the footwell. I have been looking around at various neoprene socks, booties, and tights but I still don't have a firm idea of what I need. I usually wear hiking shorts wicking/quick-dry leggings while fishing as it is, s my ideal scenario would be some kind of sock thing so that I could hike my leggings up, get launched and settled, then dry my legs with my towel and get to fishing. The idea of having to drive home in neoprene legging or trying to hid in the woods or a portajohn to strip down seems not so appealing.

I have the next 5 days off of work and want to hit Triadelphia or Rocky Gorge most of those days so something I can grab locally would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

I use boots like this: https://www.austinkayak.com/products...dary-Shoe.html

You can also get some dry pants. The water is still pretty warm, but I wouldn't go swimming around for fun...

Comment

In the past I have used just plain old rubber style boots like this:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/Alpin...entPage=family

They will keep your feet dry in shallow water for a launch but Sunday I broke out the dry pants and the wader boots as it is inevitable:

http://www.nrs.com/product/25051/kok...nts-with-socks
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I think the water Temps are warmer than the air Temps right now.
        I'll just use my water shoes till its time to break out the dry pants and then use neoprene boots over them.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I wore a thin waist high wader last Sunday. I wasn't hot, just comfortable.
          I also wore a relax fit under Armor and thin socks.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I agree with Joe. We are getting into the time of year when I wear dry pants with stocking feet. Feet stay dry, and you can either layer or just wear some shorts underneath if air temps are relatively warm. The kokatat pants I have are perfect because they are very thin and not too hot if you wear shorts underneath, but when the air gets colder they are very warm with layers underneath.

Comment

I JUST got back from Walmart to fix this issue. I feel the water and air temps are warm enough still so as not to be dangerous if I tip over. I wanted something CHEAP to last me until the weather gets cold enough to be dangerous...At which time I will pick up some dry pants and booties. I purchased for $25 a pair of plain rubber knee high boots from Walmart. They SHOULD keep my feet dry and I can wear normal socks, later changing it out for wool socks. This combined with water resistant pants (not dry pants but plain rain pants) and water resistant jacket should keep me ok for the near future. I will get wet if I fall in but I won't freeze to death right away. I should be able to get back to shore and get dry clothes on quick.. plus the car heater.
              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Probably would have been better to put the money towards some dry pants, but I guess some sh..kickers will keep you feet dry if you have water above the scuppers. Rain gear is not going to do much for you except keep you dry from spray and wet fish in your lap. Dry pants and dry top will keep you entirely dry and safe to an extent in the event of a turtle if you tie them together properly. Dry pants with a rain jacket will keep you pretty dry on the kayak, but you are screwed if you get into trouble in cold conditions with that combo.

Comment

Everything you said is true JohnE,
                  but dry pants are $150 dry top is another $150... so I figure $25 will keep me going (I was going out in bare feet and contemplating using trash bags on them) for a bit more and I can always use the rubber boots OVER my dry pants booties to protect them.. once I get them. plus.. everyone needs some waterproof sh!t K!ckers.

Once the water temps drop I will either need dry pants or just give up for the year.
                  People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Yeah, I guess the boots are good to have anyways. I recommend looking on ebay for a drysuit if you end up having $300 for dry pant's/dry top. I found an $800 nrs rescue suit for about half price on there because some guy bought it and it was too big. It is an older model, but it is really awesome.

Still have the dry pants and dry top. Drysuit is just way better and easier, especially with relief zipper. I will part with my dry top for $100, but want to keep my pants for the times when I don't need the full suit. List price on my dry top was $230 and it is in perfect condition (size xl).

There is a company, probably from China, that sells drysuits for around $300. Not sure about the quality, but I will find the link if you're interested.

Giving up for the year is not an option for me...I am an addict and will fish up until new year's...maybe past, but that gets into the time when I spend the majority of my free time snowboarding.

Comment

Just be prepared for maintenance on full Drysuits. More so than just some dry pants and a top. I just plan to use the drypants and dryshirt with my Marine corps waterproof jacket over that. But I won't travel far from the shore in cold water temps either. At least it's not as harsh here as up north.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered some 2mm neoprene socks/booties and a pair of waterpoof socks with a wool inside. We shall see if either of them work. Worst case, I can use them for the many days I spend standing in the rain for work. I had thought about rubber boots but I suspect I would get too hot and want to take them off. They will arrive tomorrow so I can try them out Friday.

I am heading to Triadelphia tomorrow, slight hitch in my plans, I need to be on a call for work at 10am, so if you see a bored looking guy drifting with a phone to his ear please feel free to paddle on over and splash me or something.

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                        Just be prepared for maintenance on full Drysuits.
                        What sort of maintenance are we talking about?
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Gaskets will wear out after a lot of use and can be replaced. That is why I will try to only use mine in the really cold conditions. I want to get a semi dry top to use with my dry pants when it is not cold enough for the full suit. Semi dry has neoprene gaskets, whereas my dry top has the rubber gaskets and they are just not very comfortable to wear for hours on end. The only other maintenance I can think of with my dry suit would be the zippers. Mine seems pretty durable.

Comment

Like John said, anywhere there is latex, it has to be cared for and replaced periodically. Zippers need to be lubricated and cleaned. A full wash/rinse on the exterior and interior after every use. And most are not machine washable. They are great when you frequent the icy waters. But unless you constantly turtle or venture out beyond the shoreline, it might be more expense than it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                              What I am looking for now is a way to just keep my feet dry for the next few weeks while it is still semi-warm out.
                              I have a 20-year old pair of Gortex socks that I use this time of year. They are fantastic and look and wear as well as when they were new.

The new models have the snug fit like regular socks. These old ones don't have any lycra or elastic in them and have a much looser fit. Of course if I step in water more than 10" deep, water will run down inside the sock. So sometimes I have to launch barefoot and put my socks and shoes on after.
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X