No announcement yet.

Best bang for the $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the nice things about the tarpon is the front and rear track system, so you don't need to permanently modify for most accessories. I never drilled any holes in my tarpon, and had 4 rod holders, an anchor trolley, and a light pole. The only thing you will need to drill for is wiring up a fishfinder. For that, I recommend just shooting the transducer through hull, sitting in a blob of duct seal. You can get one of these to run the wiring up to the head unit: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...iring-Kit.html

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
      One of the nice things about the tarpon is the front and rear track system, so you don't need to permanently modify for most accessories. I never drilled any holes in my tarpon, and had 4 rod holders, an anchor trolley, and a light pole. The only thing you will need to drill for is wiring up a fishfinder. For that, I recommend just shooting the transducer through hull, sitting in a blob of duct seal. You can get one of these to run the wiring up to the head unit: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...iring-Kit.html
      I have a Tarpon 120. How do you rig an anchor trolley without drilling a hole?
      Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
      Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I just attached harken blocks to factory installed rigging locations and run the line through a carabiner attached to the side handle to keep it from riding up. Figure 9 nite ize biners for quick release.

Comment

The depth and breadth of experience and expertise here is impressive. I thank you all for your generosity. I am not going to race into anything, but, I am going to install two flush mount rod holders behind my seat to accommodate a rocket launcher somewhat like this one:kayak rod rack.jpg
          DaveO
          Arnold/Annapolis
          Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

I would suggest really thinking it through before you start cutting into that hull. If you ever get into fishing bridge pilings, you are going to regret cutting holes for flush mounts. Scotty rocket launcher tubes are a much better option since you can adjust to all different angles...you can put your rod up straight when you are grinding pilings and angle them out for trolling if you want. You already have the tracks to mount them on.

Comment

thank you JohnE. I will have two trolling rods mounted on the forward tracks in scotty rod holders. my concern with using scotty rocket launcher holders in the back tracks is the long reach, and induced instability. I plan on using the back holders for storing other rods, a landing net, and possibly other vertical type cargo. thoughts on the reach back that far? I am getting your point(s); but, remain concerned about accessibility between rear track mounts and installing a rocket launcher in the two areas provided in the area behind the seat. Really looking to hear from your experience here John. Thanks very much.//Dave
              DaveO
              Arnold/Annapolis
              Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                thank you JohnE. I will have two trolling rods mounted on the forward tracks in scotty rod holders. my concern with using scotty rocket launcher holders in the back tracks is the long reach, and induced instability. I plan on using the back holders for storing other rods, a landing net, and possibly other vertical type cargo. thoughts on the reach back that far? I am getting your point(s); but, remain concerned about accessibility between rear track mounts and installing a rocket launcher in the two areas provided in the area behind the seat. Really looking to hear from your experience here John. Thanks very much.//Dave
                There are better rod holders for the back other than rocket launchers. You are right that you would have to turn more to withdraw a pole from those. But John is proabably right that flush mounts could be redundant.
                Here is my biggest problem with with flush mounts: I store my kayak right side up in a rough garage. If I don't get every drop of water out of the flush mounts, about once or twice a year a mouse will go down there for a drink and not get out.......with very, very unfortunate results. That is a smell that will linger. I use my flush mounts, but if I had tracks, I would not use them much.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

thank you kevin...which other track mounts should I consider? though I'm still concerned about having things to far back to reach.
                  thanks..
                  DaveO
                  Arnold/Annapolis
                  Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

thank you kevin...which other track mounts should I consider? though I'm still concerned about having things to far back to reach.
                    thanks..
                    traditional rod holders, swing them out while trolling..definitely not reaching back any farther than flush mounts (you can see where flush mount would go). Your reel will stay drier too....here are some pics I found

Comment

Keep in mind that I have been doing this for a total of 2 months now...so take what I say with that in mind.
                      With the above picture and the rod holders.. when you are trolling you cannot see the rod tips.. so while paddling you have to keep looking over your shoulders to see if there is a fish on. I am not sure how others solve this problem but I had to put my holders in front of me where I can see them. My Moken came with 2 flush rod holders in that location but I never use them, I cannot see them.
                      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                        Keep in mind that I have been doing this for a total of 2 months now...so take what I say with that in mind.
                        With the above picture and the rod holders.. when you are trolling you cannot see the rod tips.. so while paddling you have to keep looking over your shoulders to see if there is a fish on. I am not sure how others solve this problem but I had to put my holders in front of me where I can see them. My Moken came with 2 flush rod holders in that location but I never use them, I cannot see them.
                        Pat, with actual rod holders there rather than flushmounts, you'd be able to swing the rod tips out more for better visability....but believe me, you don't need to see it. when you have a fish on in the back rod holder...flush or otherwise...you'll feel it. Very obvious.

Comment

Thank you Kevin and Pat! Greatly appreciate your sticking with the village noob on this. My Tarpon ha one scotty rod holder on a front track; I will install another on the other front track shortly. This will give me two trolling / fishing rods right in front of me in plain sight at all times. The pictures are brilliant! I have multiple ideas now. What I am looking for in back is easily reachable storage whereby I do not have to turn around - most of the time - and have lots of easily accessibly tubes for a landing net, probably 3-4 additional rods, probably will put a flag / light pole in one as well. Previous owner installed a flush mount scotty rod holder for a flag / light pole - I will probably get or make something to fit in that one for an anchor. my dilemma now becomes - do I put scotties on the tracks behind the seat, and put more holders on a crate...or install flush mounts in the spots provided for them and build up a rocket launcher from there? Help me Kevin - help me...said the 59 year-old noob with no kayaking experience. Cheers.
                          DaveO
                          Arnold/Annapolis
                          Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Thank you Kevin and Pat! Greatly appreciate your sticking with the village noob on this. My Tarpon ha one scotty rod holder on a front track; I will install another on the other front track shortly. This will give me two trolling / fishing rods right in front of me in plain sight at all times. The pictures are brilliant! I have multiple ideas now. What I am looking for in back is easily reachable storage whereby I do not have to turn around - most of the time - and have lots of easily accessibly tubes for a landing net, probably 3-4 additional rods, probably will put a flag / light pole in one as well. Previous owner installed a flush mount scotty rod holder for a flag / light pole - I will probably get or make something to fit in that one for an anchor. my dilemma now becomes - do I put scotties on the tracks behind the seat, and put more holders on a crate...or install flush mounts in the spots provided for them and build up a rocket launcher from there? Help me Kevin - help me...said the 59 year-old noob with no kayaking experience. Cheers.
                            Some day you'll want to drill a hole in your kayak....but don't do it for flush mounts. They are inferior to the track mounts.....Of course I use my flush mounts all the time....but only because the stealth 14 does not have tracks.

Comment

I see the wisdom in what you say Kevin - thank you. Put one or two on each rear track; and, fill in on the crate. no drilling and construction necessary for a rocket launcher built from the flush mounts upward. Ok. I'm pretty much settled and on a course. Best to all.
                              DaveO
                              Arnold/Annapolis
                              Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Dave... you realize that pictures are mandatory right? once you are done.
                                People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
                                X