Chronic Tinkering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
    I have a strap that goes over the battery. Of course most of the time I forget to use it. The one thing that I have noticed is that the bow of the kayak is heavier in rough water, due to the bow battery. Overall, it does not affect me that much. I choose wind, weather and where I go for conditions. Eight hours of trolling is no problem with the rig I now have.

I would be curious if the power prop makes that much of a difference. Power and speed are two different things. With more power, you may actually loose some speed. However, pushing through waves and wake would be easier. I may already have a power prop on my motor. It does not look the same as the weedeater type props. In any event, trolling with the rig that I have is great fun. I have never been a fan of trolling from boats. Trolling from a kayak is for great for using lighter tackle and is quiet. It is a great tactic for finding fish. Following my starting fishing from a kayak, I realized just how many fish are in the shallows. The kayak is perfect for not scattering the fish, as one would would do with an engine.
    ......... Can I get an Amen to that ...........

can't wait to sit smack dab in the middle of breaking fish without putting them down and hookin fish withing the rod length of the yak while other boats are wishing they were me .........

Comment

I'm looking forward to it as well.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I do the same thing every time I go to Outdoor World. I say I'm going in to restock a few lures and I end up spending $100 on other stuff that catches my eye. I'm going pretty low budget with the trolling motor setup I'm doing right now. Got an old used Minn Kota 30 lb/ft for $60 from a guy off Craigslist, a Bigfoot hand/foot control switch, and an AGM 35ah battery (will give about 5 hours on low speeds). I'm working on saltwater proofing it right now with some Por-15 products. Time will tell if it works...
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          ......... Can I get an Amen to that ...........

can't wait to sit smack dab in the middle of breaking fish without putting them down and hookin fish withing the rod length of the yak while other boats are wishing they were me .........
          While casting a kastmaster to breaking fish, I have seen several fish come up a take the lure with only two or three rods lengths of line left to retrieve. It is very fun to watch that sort of thing happen. It is also neat to be in a blitz and just listen to the fish breaking all around you. While chumming, I have had fish striking the bait just below my feet, while sitting side saddle on the kayak. Of course if there would have been larger bluefish around I many not have had my feet in the water. However, it helps to keep cooled off in the summer.

Kayaks even make trolling fun, as being quiet. The light tackle is much more fun to use. The rods almost double over with the strike.

Comment

Working...
          X