Choice of two Fishfinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of two Fishfinders?

Looking for a FF for my yak and have narrowed my search down to a few. Two in particular are the Low. elite4x hdi and the Hbird Pmax 175 or that series anyway. Any pointers that may sway my choice would be helpful. Not dead set on having color or lots of bells and whistles and the other side of the coin tells me it's nice to have them when you do need/want them.

What say ye?

TIA- steve

I think you should really consider a unit with a GPS. I seem to use the GPS as much as I use the FF functions. Nice to be able to pick a point on a chart at home, plug it in and head to it when I'm on the water. Also a little safety comes along as you have your exact coordinates handy in case of an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Looking for a FF for my yak and have narrowed my search down to a few. Two in particular are the Low. elite4x hdi and the Hbird Pmax 175 or that series anyway. Any pointers that may sway my choice would be helpful. Not dead set on having color or lots of bells and whistles and the other side of the coin tells me it's nice to have them when you do need/want them.

What say ye?

TIA- steve
      if you have a newer hobie go with lowrance, the ready mounts make the assembly and set up super easy.

Comment

Definitely go with a FF/GPS combo. You will thank me later.

I have a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI, would not get anything less.

Next will be an elite-5 HDI when I get a new Outback.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

What about the raymarine Dragonfly?

Comment

Originally posted by El Lobo View Post
            What about the raymarine Dragonfly?
            Looks pretty; messed with one on display on demo mode this week....I will be sticking with Lowrance. I use what works, HB would be my next choice. The Dragonfly is sexy, but doesn't have the features for the price.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

That sucks. That's the one I've had my eye on. Right now I go out with just the navionics app on the phone to see the drop offs.

Comment

My FF was a gift and doesn't have GPS. I wish I had at least bought it myself so I could easily replace it with a GPS model without feeling guilty.

They are certainly cheaper without GPS but in the long run it would save you money to pay a little more the first time.
                Mike

Comment

My problem with the current Lowrance Mark and Elite series is that horribly designed rubber flap that covers the SD card slot. I have a Mark 4, Elite 4, and another dead Elite 4. The one Elite 4 died after I flipped my kayak this past summer. The SD slot was packed with dielectric grease and taped shut with gorilla tape. They are capable units, but the waterproof claims do not live up to what is advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                    My problem with the current Lowrance Mark and Elite series is that horribly designed rubber flap that covers the SD card slot. I have a Mark 4, Elite 4, and another dead Elite 4. The one Elite 4 died after I flipped my kayak this past summer. The SD slot was packed with dielectric grease and taped shut with gorilla tape. They are capable units, but the waterproof claims do not live up to what is advertised.
                    Do you keep a SD card in it? I loaded mine with the grease and use a large rubber band around the whole unit to keep the door flap shut. Survived one turtle, that took three tries to right, with just the grease and the SD card in. Has taken about of year of getting pretty wet in the location I picked in kayak. I feel that having the SD card in packed well with grease may help fill the hollows that may let water enter. Really is a horrible design , it's a shame as in general I really like the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                      Do you keep a SD card in it?
                      Yes, I do. I have the Navionics card. I called Lowrance before doing it and they said that packing the slot with dielectric grease would not void the warranty and could only help. When I go through the surf now, I put the fish finder in a zip lock bag and put it in the fish box up front. It's fairly easy to mount once I'm out past the breakers.

Here's the Elite 4 that crapped out on me. This was the one packed with grease and gorilla tape securing the flap.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                        Yes, I do. I have the Navionics card. I called Lowrance before doing it and they said that packing the slot with dielectric grease would not void the warranty and could only help. When I go through the surf now, I put the fish finder in a zip lock bag and put it in the fish box up front. It's fairly easy to mount once I'm out past the breakers.

Here's the Elite 4 that crapped out on me. This was the one packed with grease and gorilla tape securing the flap.

Maybe there is some other weak point. Seems strange that it would get through the grease and tape. You do mention surf and maybe the higher salinity is the culprit(besides the bad design). My spill was in the Patuxent and I was sure it was going to be history after hearing about the problems with the flap but it pulled through.

Comment

Working...
                        X