No announcement yet.

Bassyak or DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the new trolling motor is well under way to being mounted and done. All in all I must say the BassYaks kit would have been a better deal in the long run I think. Below estimates my costs for items that would have come with the BassYaks (so no battery).

Trolling motor $230 (I chose to get a refurb MK Endura Max 55lb, but a cheaper 30lb would have worked better)
    Rudder kit $200
    6ga wires black/red 15' each $45
    Marine trolling motor plug $30
    FeelFree track mounts $60 (I didn't NEED these but I wanted to mount my motor without making holes in the yak and use these to secure it).
    Tiller Extension handle $50 - Because I got the Max version, I cannot simply remove the electronics from the head, so I am just leaving the head on the motor and twisting the handle with an extension handle.)
    Wood, fiberglass, glue $35

Total $645
    I don't have a kill switch and a cool remote management system like the BassYaks... so BassYaks 1, Pat 0
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown Pat it helped me out a lot.

I watched a video of someone going over the install of his bassyak on a big tuna, and then the install of the rudder system in a different video.

The rudder system from jackson seemed to involve more pieces where the cables entered and exited the kayak to prevent wear. I just assumed I would buy the Jackson rudder system and then have to buy the bassyak setup for best installation.

Comment

When I did my OK Trident 13, I used the island hoppers mount and a 40# endura max motor. I had to reinforce the pvc mount as it flexed too much. I got a super sale deal on a freshwater motor and cut the shaft and waterproofed in my self. I already had a rudder system on my Trident so that wasn't a factor. I would love to buy just the Bassyaks mount and work from there but I never thought to call Steve and see if they sell just the mount.

I only use a 55AH battery which weighs 35#. I have never run out of juice on the bay or in the rivers. If I am moving from spot to spot, I will crank it up to about 85% (4mph) and I troll around 40%(2mph). I also paddle when I am repositioning to keep in shape.

In my opinion, the rudder system is a must with the wind and tides that we have in the bay.

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
        X