Ff/gps choices and mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ff/gps choices and mounting

Looking this time for advice on which FF/GPS will mount with a thru hull transducer on my Tarpon 140. I am looking at the Lowrance 5 HDI - the 4 if necessary.
    So, with that in mind; I would sincerely appreciate advice and guidance on this. Must I special order anything?
    Thanks very much!
    Cheers
    DaveO
    Arnold/Annapolis
    Yellow Tarpon 140

I would go with the Elite 5 HDI if you have the room to mount it I would install it on a yak attack 1 !/2 ball mount
    I just picked t up the elite 5 at Cabela's for $299.00
    For the mount use 1 /12 ball mount for the 5
    http://www.yakattack.us/CBO_SB15_LO1...-sb15-lo11.htm

Comment

Glad to see it around 300. I have some gift cards to use at bass pro and I've had my eye on the elite 5 hdi.

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
      I would go with the Elite 5 HDI if you have the room to mount it I would install it on a yak attack 1 !/2 ball mount
      I just picked t up the elite 5 at Cabela's for $299.00
      For the mount use 1 /12 ball mount for the 5
      http://www.yakattack.us/CBO_SB15_LO1...-sb15-lo11.htm
      Mike

Comment

I have the 4, its works fine through hull with the ductseal install. For the screen I just bolted it on with the base that came with it. Works fine for me. But if you must have a bigger screen by all means get the 5
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have the 5 HDI. After some education on FF/GPS, it works great. Tried the ball mount and don't like it, moves to much. Used the mount it came with and mounted to center console hatch cover.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks to all! Plan to go with the 5, and the mount coming with it.
            I believe I have plans coming for through hull mounting.
            Cheers!
            DaveO
            Arnold/Annapolis
            Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

On my tarpon 140 I used the duct seal method for the transducer and mounted the fishfinder on a scotty fishfinder mount in the front "molded in" mount location.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for how to run the wires through the hull for the 5 HDI? I plan on using a duct-seal mount for the transducer and want to keep my battery box inside the hull.

The FF comes with 3 wires (power input has a wire for straight battery and another optional for use on boat electrical systems). The only thru-hull fittings I have seen only accomodate 1 or 2 wires. Am I stuck using two fittings or is there a better alternative? I'm tempted to just cut the extra wire off near the plug and cover it in liquid tape, but I'd prefer to keep it intact.

Maybe just use the method suggested in the instructions of running the wires up through the middle of the mount, then flood the inside with silicone to seal it?
                Mike

Comment

2014 08 gps install 14.jpg

I picked up a marine claim shell mount and drilled 3 holes in the plug. Works good so far and its waterproof. Your gona have to cut a 1 inch hole in the deck and widen the claim shell opening to accommodate the connectors.
                  Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14776[/ATTACH]

I picked up a marine claim shell mount and drilled 3 holes in the plug. Works good so far and its waterproof. Your gona have to cut a 1 inch hole in the deck and widen the claim shell opening to accommodate the connectors.
                    Thanks!
                    Mike

Comment

I put my elite 5 in my forward hatch on my slayer10, using duct seal. Just be sure to press the transducer firmly into the duct seal.
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                        Thanks!
                        Mike,

I have also yet to install my elite 5 hdi on my tarpon 120. I came across a few people using liquid tight cord grips for their transducer cords. it looks very similar to the shell mount that salty dog mentioned. comes in a variety of different diameters as well.

http://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_Co...=Series-35-NPT

http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-tigh...-grips/=vuql97

also, if you do plan to go with this method, let me know which size you order. im too lazy to do so
                        Michael
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Stop by West Marine and check out their choices, Mbae, kinda looks like what Hobie offers for waterproof connections.
                          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                            Stop by West Marine and check out their choices, Mbae, kinda looks like what Hobie offers for waterproof connections.
                            Yeah its very similar to the hobie thru hull wiring kit pictured below. i was gonna go with the hobie one at first but they usually only sell it as a kit for around $17.99. i had no use for more than one so i looked elsewhere.
                            35319_450.jpg

i purchased the west marine wire cap for $5.99 but then came across the liquid tight cord grip i mentioned. i think it looks much sleeker than both the west marine and hobie alternatives so i think i am gonna go with that. but to each its own!
                            Michael
                            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I dont think those Liquid Tight fittings would work running the Elite 5 HDI transducer through the hull. The plug end is like 3/4" across. It would be fine for the power wires that you can feed a clean end of the wire though I just dont see the plug end fitting through. I'm thinking the cable clam will be the way I go, I just need to figure out which size is appropriate for getting all 3 wires through.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X