Too much weight on the stern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much weight on the stern?

I did a test fit with my trolling motor and battery (55ah; about 35lbs) on my FS12T. No scuppers. I sat in the kayak and water begin coming up through the scuppers. I didn't wait long enough to see if the yak was going under, lol. I'm about 170lbs. Weight limit is 350lbs. I didn't foresee this being an issue.

Any ideas? I really would prefer to have those scuppers open for taking waves in the bay. The only thing I can think of is scupper valves, and that's even if they're available for this kayak. I might have to get creative here.

Any ideas what's wrong or how to correct? Anyone else have these issues?

Thank you!
    -Steve M.

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
    I did a test fit with my trolling motor and battery (55ah; about 35lbs) on my FS12T. No scuppers. I sat in the kayak and water begin coming up through the scuppers. I didn't wait long enough to see if the yak was going under, lol. I'm about 170lbs. Weight limit is 350lbs. I didn't foresee this being an issue.

Any ideas? I really would prefer to have those scuppers open for taking waves in the bay. The only thing I can think of is scupper valves, and that's even if they're available for this kayak. I might have to get creative here.

Any ideas what's wrong or how to correct? Anyone else have these issues?

Thank you!
    -Steve M.
    Water will find it's own level so even though the scupper water line is rising, taking water over the bow will still drain.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Right, but I am riding really low on the rear where the battery is placed. Water is coming up through the scuppers and flooding rear storage.

Comment

I was thinking about plugging the holes and rigging up a small surface pump to go over the side. Minimal weight and they have really small pumps available.

Comment

Adding a pump isn't needed and just another item you have to lug around and account for. Get or make a waterproof battery box. If you run the motor, you need the battery. Just make it waterproof.

Comment

I have the fs12t as well. The hull design has the top deck too low to the water. My rear storage area ends up with water when it's just me at 220. I haven't tried plugs for the rear scuppers yet but I think it will be inevitable.
            Mike

Comment

With only a 350 weight limit, the fs12t, may not be the best candidate for strapping a trolling motor on to. Be careful out there.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I agree with Shady and others. Sounds like your kayak may not be of a proper design with adequate weight limits to accommodate both you, your essential fishing gear PLUS a trolling motor and battery. You are putting together a dangerous kayak. An extreme analogy would be trying to make a Smart Car pull a 1,500 pound boat... ain't gonna happen and only you will pay the price.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Remember the max weight limit is the weight that will still enable the kayak to float. The more weight the harder to paddle and control kayak. At 220 plus motor, gear and battery you are probably close to max. I read once that it is best to stay at about 70% max of the vessels rated capacity with you and gear to have the best paddling experience.

Here is a good article explaining the weight: http://www.yakangler.com/blogs/on-th...city-explained

Comment

Perhaps the FS12T has a bad design, but I'm nowhere near the weight limit of the kayak.

Me: 175 (with heavy clothes)
                    Battery: 35
                    Motor: 15 or 20 maybe?
                    Mount: 8lbs
                    gear. 3 fishing poles and tackle box.

I am probably 90lbs under the max (74%). This should be more than enough to prevent instant water through the scuppers.

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                      I have the fs12t as well. The hull design has the top deck too low to the water. My rear storage area ends up with water when it's just me at 220. I haven't tried plugs for the rear scuppers yet but I think it will be inevitable.
                      Yea, seems like a design flaw. Not much we can do about that.

Comment

At 170lbs + battery + trolling motor you are still probably lighter than just me in the same yak and I have absolutely no concerns for buoyancy when I go out. My gripe about the yak is that the water level in the scuppers is just too close to the top deck. I am not worried about flooding, but Ascend needs to mold the top deck an inch higher. When you look at how deep the stern storage area is, it is pretty clear that they have more than enough room to raise it up.

You might want to consider putting the battery near the bow in front of you, I've never felt like the bow sat low at all. Although, strangely enough I did have a crazy dream last night that I was out in the yak and the bow started sinking. Somehow in the dream world I was able to keep the bow up as I paddled to a rock. From there I started casting and caught 3 white perch on a single cast with a tiny crank bait, and pulled them up through a hardwood floor instead of out of the water. Yeah... I think my wife must be slipping me some acid in my sleep or something.
                        Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks for the feedback. I will be brainstorming some fixes. As for your dream, at least you're catching fish!

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
                            Perhaps the FS12T has a bad design, but I'm nowhere near the weight limit of the kayak.

Me: 175 (with heavy clothes)
                            Battery: 35
                            Motor: 15 or 20 maybe?
                            Mount: 8lbs

gear. 3 fishing poles and tackle box.

I am probably 90lbs under the max (74%). This should be more than enough to prevent instant water through the scuppers.
                            .......... Yes but the majority of the weight is in the back ........ Most of the seats are back from center, most of the storage is behind the seat and then you add a motor and battery ..........

Comment

Yea, that makes sense. I will try to shift the load. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X