FF on a Revo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF on a Revo

Please see photos below. I have been contemplating a FF on my Revo. My deliberation to date has been the Revo’s lack of deck space and the fact that rudder control cords run along both gunnels. I do not want to cut them or interfere with their action.

I have placed a Scotty mount in the photo below in a good spot for me ergonomically. It’s just sitting there. No holes drilled. I can reach the space just through the center hatch. And I can feel the rudder lines right under the mount and close to the underside of the gunnel. I’d want to screw through the gunnel and use nuts for extra strength.

P1000199.jpg P1000200.jpg P1000202.JPG

Where have those of you with Revos installed your FF?

How have you strung your wiring and where have you stored your battery?

Are there any special considerations I should know about?

Photos welcome!

I’m thinking of Lowrance unit with a 4 or 5 inch screen. I’m not sure of the precise model yet. I know that Scotty makes holders for Lowrance.

Thank you,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I go with the ghetto no drill install because of the lack of deck space you mentioned. It consists of a length of 3/4 inch pvc tubing sticking into my mast hole with the fishfinder mount zip tied sturdily to the pvc. I then run the wire under the center hatch into a battery box that is zip tied to the black support beam. The transducer sits right in front of the battery box mounted in duct seal. Easily removable and very durable if you cut/taper the pvc so that it gets down to the bottom of the mast hole.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Romo,

Thank you for your reply.

That's a good possibility. I like that because it requires no drilling.

My concern would be reaching it! Does it give you adequate access?
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here is the improved new PVC FF holder. It's simplified - few PVC parts and few stainless screws. I wrapped the upper part of the PVC pipe with electrical tape so that the PVC post fits tightly (FF doesn't swing much).
          I don't have issue on reaching the FF (I am 5'7").

Here is my setting. I did it in 2011. Since there is no drilling on the kayaks, all my 4 FF can be relocated to any of my 3 hobie in 15 minutes.
          I did extensive turtle test because the wires are through the bow hatch. No problem at all if you can upright the kayak in 5 minutes. The most of water goes into the hull through the rudder cable holes:

One more thing regarding duct seal
          Duct seal will be hard to make shape in winter (below 30F). No problem. Microwave duct seal for 30-40 seconds. It will be warm and flexible for awhile, and it will stick very well in cold weather.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-11-2015, 09:53 AM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            My concern would be reaching it! Does it give you adequate access?
            Not a problem for me but I'm 6'4" and have long arms haha. You could always doctor it up with an elbow piece to get the screen closer to you. I also like the idea ComeOnFish showed in his video of mounting a little bow light to the pvc... Might have to mod mine up like that

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Excellent replies, guys.

I like the idea of using the sail mount and devising a PVC post for the FF.

I need to do a reach test.

Many thanks,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here's how I mounted mine. Worked really well for me. Used the shock cord to wrap around the plastic holder below and it never moved for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK...Reach test almost failed.

I'm 6 feet tall with a 32 inch shirt sleeve. I can just barely reach beyond my pedals if I lean forward. I assume you guys are leaning a bit also. I'm not as flexible as I used to be!

But If I swing my legs over the gunnels I can easily rock forward and reach where the PVC post would be. Is that the secret? Wet feet?

I hope a FF doesn't require constant manipulation.

I'd really like to use the PVC post idea.

Attaching a mount to the post that is adaptable to a chosen FF appears to the next issue.

I appreciate the photos so far.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here are more pictures of my FF. Electrical tape was used for tightness.

Below is the latest design, the cheapest and impact resistant - 1 PVC pipe, 1 T connector, two screws, small diameter bungee cord. An additional hole was drilled on the FF base plate two put two screws to the T connector. There is no screw between the T connector and the PVC pipe. T- connector should come off the pipe by impact (during the rolling over). T connector and the pip will be still connected by the bungee cord)
                    (I do not tight the screws to much. This is because possible tumbling over during the launch at the shore when the waves are high. The third pic shows the FF after getting tumbled over at the beach)

Because FF wasn't tightly screwed to the T connector, nothing broke during the tumbled over except widened screw holes on the T connector. All I need is a new T connector.

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-12-2015, 04:02 AM.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      OK...Reach test almost failed.

I'm 6 feet tall with a 32 inch shirt sleeve. I can just barely reach beyond my pedals if I lean forward. I assume you guys are leaning a bit also. I'm not as flexible as I used to be!

But If I swing my legs over the gunnels I can easily rock forward and reach where the PVC post would be. Is that the secret? Wet feet?

I hope a FF doesn't require constant manipulation.

I'd really like to use the PVC post idea.

Attaching a mount to the post that is adaptable to a chosen FF appears to the next issue.

I appreciate the photos so far.
                      Mark, I don't think anyone can reach the FF while butt is on the seat. I sit on the center hatch when I change the settings. Wet feet too in winter.

I spent a good amount of time (3-4 trips) to configure the FF. After that as long as I turn the FF off by using power button, not unplugging the power cord, the setting will be saved. Some models reset to the factory default settings when I unplugged the power cords.

Once settings for my needs are completed, I don't touch the FF often. If you are planning to touch the FF often, the mast hole won't be a good spot for your FF.

Joe

Comment

Joe,

Thank you.

Got it.

Good to know.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Is there anywhere on the revolution that a suction mount would work? I've got a ram suction mount that has worked great on my Ascends
                          Mike

Comment

Not really. I guess on top of the front hatch but thats even farther away than the mast hole!

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                            X