Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishfinder connection cables & corrosion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder connection cables & corrosion!

Hey guys, I've poked in and out of topics here at snaggedline for a pretty long time but never introduced myself

I'm actually just getting into kayak fishing and picked up a ws tarpon 120 a while back and started rigging it for the coming season but i've come across a road block in the electronics department -

I've never handled electric connections and what not but I bought a used garmin echo 300c to receive both transducer and power cables that have the green corrosion around the pin connectors.

My question to you all is whether or not these corroded pin connectors can be restored to functionality by using a contact cleaner like deoxit or if I could buy a 4 pin adapter (something like http://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin...pter--13178306) and connect the end to the original transducer rather than having to buy a whole new transducer - (i've already replaced the power cable)

Thanks for your time, looking forward to joining the community here!

Best,
    Nikki
    Nikki

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
    Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14

Welcome abouard, Nikki! I hope to meet you out on the water.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

I'd suggest using the cleaner and a nail file or some small abrasive tool to knock out the corrosion. Just like with battery terminals. I don't think you want to mess with cutting a transducer cable and installing a new connector! Try a simple solution first.
      Green Old Town Loon 111
      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Use some dieletric grease once you have it all cleaned up. It can be picked up at homedepot or any hardware store usually.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Peggy,
          Thanks for the welcome!

Mepps3, Goody,
          Thanks for your advice! Do you think that the cables will be functional after I attempt to clean them? I'm going to go ahead and order the contact cleaner/dielectric grease and see what I can do from there -

tight lines,
          Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            Use some dieletric grease once you have it all cleaned up. It can be picked up at homedepot or any hardware store usually.
            X2 in auto parts stores also
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I found these at Home Depot and use them to put on my depth finder and transducer/power cable when not in use. I think that definitely helps with dirt and corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can find an option radio shack, they might have contact cleaner. Like others, I got dialectic grease at an auto parts store

Comment

Option= open

Comment

I got myself a can of deoxit and dielectric grease and unfortunately am still not able to exit the demo screen of my fishfinder (I don't think its registering..) is there anything else I can try before I have to buy a brand new transducer?

Thanks guys
                    Nikki

Comment

Does anyone have a garmin echo series fishfinder transducer that I could plug into my unit to make sure it works? I would really appreciate it because I want to be 100% that its the transducer cable and not the unit itself before I replace it - Thanks!
                      Nikki

Comment

Great idea, do you remember what dept. you found them?
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                        X