Mirage drive adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage drive adjustment?

Does the drive need adjusting? My buddy bought an outback last year and out on the flats this past weekend and he can't keep up with my paddling my ride 135 at normal trolling speed. I figure he should be blowing me away. He says it will not go any faster.

Is there something to this? I have no clue and he will not post to ask the question. I don't know if his drive needs adjusting, has a problem or if he is somehow peddling it incorrectly, if you can do that.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Which fins does he have on his mirage drive? I'm guessing the old style penguin fins if he can't keep up with a ride 135. There are not many adjustments he could make. Maybe he has pedals too close and needs to adjust for his leg length. That is the only adjustment I can think of which will make a difference. There are adjustment levers to adjust the crank arms and he must have them set too close I would guess. If not, he should upgrade to st or turbo fins. I am thinking about selling the st fins I took off my mirage drive when I swapped them out for turbos. They will be substantially faster than penguin fins and I will let them go for a lot less than a new kit will cost him. They were only used for 2 hours before I removed them.

Comment

Rob-what John said above ^. What year is his Outback? I guessing he has the penguin fins too. The adjustment brass tension on the flippers will make it stiffer and that's about all the adjustment there is.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Go with the ST or Turbo Fins. I know many kayakers who have upgraded their Outback's fins and they move just fine and can keep up or pass the paddle only yaks.

Comment

I have the original penguin fins on my Outback, it does not have problems keeping up. Must be doing something wrong...like not getting on to ask the question himself.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I think his outback is a 2014, but I do not know and I know nothing about his fins. I e-mailed him the link to this and told him to come on and explain the details. He's a nice guy, but a bit shy and not quite as brash and forward as me.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

my guess would be the pedals are not set properly to give him a full stroke. that or he left the cart in...ha
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                my guess would be the pedals are not set properly to give him a full stroke. that or he left the cart in...ha
                Hey, don't laugh. I left my cart in my Revo before and wondered why is my boat was soooooo sloooooow......

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                  Hey, don't laugh. I left my cart in my Revo before and wondered why is my boat was soooooo sloooooow......
                  Hahahahahaha. I remember that. Looking back you have to admit it was funny after you realized it.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

I was fishing with Dsmero a few years ago on the flats. We launched out of tidings, he was really lagging behind. I radioed him and came back to help troubleshoot. We switched mirage drives. He says, "Man, your fins really suck too." Finally after our first trolling pass, he removed the cart under his kayak!
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. I actually do have the turbo fans installed. It petals with very little pressure almost like it is not engaging. My guess would be something needs to be tightened. It is a 2014 any ideas? I know its something that I'm doing wrong.

Comment

This is a tough one. There's not a lot to adjust.

Do the cables that connect to the chains have the appropriate tension? There are hex nuts at the end of each cable that you can tighten. Those nuts will ensure the chain is engaged with the sprocket.

The sprocket teeth are all present, I assume. They have not been stripped, have they?

Are the brass adjustment screws on the fins in place and engaged? If not the fins could swing under water as they meet the pressure of the water and not give you the proper thrust.

If you hold the unit and move the pedals with your hands, do the fins move?

I cannot think of anything else.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. I am pretty sure you got it right. The brass fitting was very loose on both side. It would wiggle a tremendous amount. I will try this and report back.

Comment

OK I know what it was. Cracked sproket teeth. I only have three teeth left but the drive should have 7. The dealer said it is a rare problem. Usually from a loose chain that breaks the plastic sprockets.
                            Last edited by skeet123; 06-19-2015, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Really appreciate everyone's help

Comment

Working...
                              X