Fish finder transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder transport

this is my first year using a fish finder on the kayak and I'm trying to decide if it's better to remove the FF every time I transport my kayak ( which involves removing the cables and then reinstalling which seems like a good way to eventually bend pins) or to just keep it hooked up. I trailer my boat so it does get bounced around more than it might on a vehicle which is the trade off of keeping it installed. I've done it both ways. Curious what long time users do.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I've only been doing this since last year, but I always remove mine. Reconnecting it to the holder I use is a pain though. I've debated finding a new mounting method so I don't have to connect the FF in the same way I do now.

Comment

I've left mine on before. As long as I'm not stopping along the way where it might decide to take a walk.
      Most FF weigh less than the battery powering them. I would definitely remove the battery. Don't need that bouncing around in the hull.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I keep everything connected and take everything including the transducer off and put in a case. Easier it hook up and no bent pins

Comment

I don't qualify as a long-time user but I remove mine during transport and during storage.

I was concerned about bent pins so I color-coded the wire terminal plugs with a dot of latex paint.

I know instantly which wire goes to which plug on the FF and which side is up to ensure a smooth, unforced connection.

A.jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Interesting idea Mark - I will do this as well to assist with assembly.

Thanks
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I don't qualify as a long-time user but I remove mine during transport and during storage.

I was concerned about bent pins so I color-coded the wire terminal plugs with a dot of latex paint.

I know instantly which wire goes to which plug on the FF and which side is up to ensure a smooth, unforced connection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15487[/ATTACH]
              I have wanted to cut that extra wire from day one but never went through with it. Seeing yours cut might push me just enough to do it soon.
              Mike

Comment

Mike,

It was serving no purpose in my installation so I cut, gooped and capped it.

That made one less wire to run through the hull.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I cut mine as well, it is the wire for NEMA Networking. Which is used so the unit can communicate and send GPS or Sonar information to other electronics (Radios, other fish finders etc). For a Kayak you likely won't have a need for it.

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Mike,

It was serving no purpose in my installation so I cut, gooped and capped it.

That made one less wire to run through the hull.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Good question. I too trailer my kayak. I've just leave it on and so far not have any problems. I agree with buzz about taking it off only if we plan to stop along the way.
                    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

My concern is leaving the electronics exposed to the weather...now that we're in a shoulder season I can probably leave it attached, but 90+ temperatures or below freezing in winter, it doesn't seem like a good idea for extended exposure. Maybe not a concern, I suppose built in fishfinders on larger boats stay exposed all the time.

Comment

I hear ya. I've only left mine on a few times during transit cuz I was being lazy. It always comes off when I get home anyway so I can take it inside and get my data off the SD card.

The head unit simply pops off and the pins are protected by the mounting base.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                        X